[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pacing and Guide Dogs

  • From: Dershimer@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:45:23 EDT

Some of my relatives are trainers and directors for a well known guide dog
organization.  A few summers ago, I had the opportunity to shadow one  of
them while  they were training their dogs.  I observed  that all three of
their dogs eventually began pacing.  I  questioned the instructor concerning
the pacing gait and his reply was that it  was an energy conserving gait and
that all of the dogs eventually went into that  mode while in the harness.

As an aside,  the trainer's  dogs were transported to a certain  town in a
van.  Three dogs were tied on each side of the  van, not in crates.  I
asked if the dogs ever got into it  while they were being transported.  His
reply was, "Occasionally, but when  they do,  I make a group correction."  I
asked him how this was done  while he was driving.  His reply, " I slam on the
brakes."  His dogs  were wonderful, well trained and absolutely adored him.
I will always  remember the day I shadowed him, how hard he and the dogs
worked and what a  wonderful service these German Shepherd Dogs are providing.

"Sam" Colvin"
_Dershimer@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Dershimer@xxxxxxx)

**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.