[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: P.R./ bad backs & rears & color

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amidon481@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:49:42 +0000 (UTC)

Barbara, I know this topic is supposed to be about pigment, etc., however there
is a much more important element to your post that I hope many who call
themselves "breeders" will comprehend.  The difference between you and many
today is you had an "ideal" dog in your mind that is what you aspired to breed
for. You breeding program created a discernable sytle of dog. Today, people
call themselves breeders yet they have no goals past the immediate litter they
are planning. I liken their breeding programs to playing darts blindfolded.
They have to throw 100 darts before they hit the bullseye, and even then it was
shear luck. In your post, you express they style of dog you like and it is
reflected in your breeding program. Curvaceous, high whithered, rich pigment
and good secondary sex characteristics. You bred only to dogs that you felt
could maintain the traits you desired until your lines became dominant.
Creating a discernable style of dog is why we have the LLoyd Brackett
Award.Also successful breeders understand the need to go to the extreme to
maintain balance. Successful breeders are smart enough to know where they need
improvement and breed accordingly, while trying to maintain the good traits of
their animals. Dog breeding is an art, some are gifted and other will always be
paint by number.