[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PNW residents..........

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:52:47 -0800 (PST)

It poured all day - and the snow that had piled up in the lower elevations
melted (it is 49 degrees here right now at 9:38 pm and at 1000 ft elevation)
The rapidly melting snow combined with the VERY heavy rain has led to much
local flooding - but so far the big rivers are below flood stage. They are
predicting colder weather so the snow melt will slow down.
Most of the absentees I saw were from the coast where they had very high winds
blowing trees over, slides and flooding.
The foothill areas had local power outages caused by trees blowing over,
something we are used to but small local outages take much longer to fix. My
normal 45-50 minute drive to the Expo Center was double that this morning.
It is a big circuit and many people got there early. And it is hard to keep a
show person from an event like this. It did prevent the public from coming.
More rain tomorrow but occasional sun breaks scheduled for Sat which could
bring the public to the show. As long as the freezing winds don't hit the Expo
Center and cause ice, everything should be fine if damp and slow.
I did enjoy watching the many different and creative "doggy raincoats" I saw as
I stewarded at a ring near one of the main entrances.

Ruth