[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS Update from Cat Fanciers

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:09:30 EST

Has EVERYBODY contacted your Senators/representatives to ask them NOT to
support this PAWS bill?  NOW IS YOUR CHANCE to squelch it, or it is going  to
COST legitimate hobby breeders (cats, dogs, etc)  MUCH more than just
money...........this guy Santorum is a scarey character - and the supporters DO
 NOT
UNDERSTAND what this bill does to the little guys.......see  below.
And, please forward this!

Update - The Cat  Fanciers' Association
Appropriate forwarding is appreciated with  acknowledgement.
Fanciers;

The letter below from Senator Santorum was just placed on the AKC website
today and is here for your information.  It appears to be an attempt to
placate
hobby breeders through assurance of an exemption as a "dealer". However
breeders over the established thresholds would still be  "regulated". These
programs that are to be set up by not-for-profit organizations would be based
on
standards of care and inspection procedures certified by the
USDA to be "at  least as effective" as those required by the Animal Welfare
Act.  We will  have concerns about which organizations would set up inspection
programs,  how much these inspections would cost breeders and many other
questions.  We still must wait until the legislative revisions are finally
available at the end of January to assess the newly revised PAWS bill.

We  have no information in this letter as to what rescue organizations might
be  exempted.  Will it be only non-profits corporations?  We will also  have
to wait to see if breeders/sellers of other animals like birds,  rabbits and
ferrets will be regulated.

CFA's opposition has not changed.  Continue to go to the CFA website  for
information and contact your own Senators and Representatives.  Ask  them not
co-sponsor SB 1139 or HR 2669 particularly when the language in  these bills
will change.

Joan Miller
CFA Legislative Coordinator
_JMillerArt@xxxxxxxx (mailto:JMillerArt@xxxxxxx)
_www.cfa.org_ (http://www.cfa.org)
>  ***********************
> <<
> Update on PAWS Santorum letter  to Chairman Menaker
> [Wednesday, January 18, 2006]
> UPDATE ON  PAWS
>
> AKC Chairman, Ron Menaker, read the following letter from  Senator Rick
> Santorum at the January 17, 2006 Delegate meeting. The text  of the letter
> from Senator Santorum follows. View the original  letter.
>
> Mr. Ronald Menaker
>

> Chairman of  the Board
> The American Kennel Club
> 260 Madison Avenue
>  New York, NY 10016
>

> Dear Chairman:
>
> I am  writing to thank you once again for your participation in the
>  Subcommittee on Research, Nutrition and General Legislationâ?Ts hearing  on
> the Pet Animal Welfare Statute of 2005 (PAWS), and to give you a  progress
> report on PAWS.
>
> First, Iâ?Tm pleased to report  that since the hearing we have added 14
> cosponsors here in the Senate,  so that by the time we recessed in December
> PAWS had 23 Senate  cosponsors. The companion bill in the House of
> Representatives has 129  cosponsors. Second, I stated at the November
> hearing
> that I  planned to make a number of additions and improvements to PAWS to
>  address issues raised at the hearing and in the discussion of the
>  legislation that has taken place before and since the hearing. Although  we
> were unable to complete that process by the Christmas recess, as I  had
> originally hoped, we have been working hard on it, and I am pleased  to
> report that I expect to release a discussion draft by the end of this
> month.
>
> This discussion draft will include the  provisions I outlined at the
> hearing,
> including a clarification  of the numerical criteria for "dealers" an
> explicit exemption for  shelter and rescue organizations, and clarification
> of the definition of  "retail pet store." This draft will also clarify that
> persons who sell  dogs for hunting, security or breeding purposes cannot be
> singled out  for any special treatment under the Act.
>
> Iâ?Tm particularly  pleased to report to you that this discussion draft
> will
> also  include a provision exempting from the definition of dealer retail
>  sellers of dogs and cats who are in compliance with the standards of
>  not-for-profit organizations such as the American Kennel Club who have
>  kennel standards and inspection programs that the Secretary of  Agriculture
> has certified are at least as effective as those required  under the Animal
> Welfare Act.
>
> As you know, writing good  legislation is an on-going and painstaking
> process. I believe that with  the help of the AKC and other interested
> organizations, we are creating  an outstanding piece of legislation that
> will
> [...]

Ginger Cleary,  Rome, GA
"One of the greatest delusions of the world is  the HOPE that the EVILS of
this world are to be CURED BY LEGISLATION." Thomas  B. Reed 1886

_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)