[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PASTERNS HELP

  • From: "Joan Fox" <campaigners@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <RihadinK9@xxxxxxx>, "edwinx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:54:39 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

The key here is protein.

I took a puppy from a litter about 2 years ago and he was badly down in
front.
I put him on the Senior food. He came up almost immediately .
The others in the litter never did come up and mine was the biggest of the
litter.
I sold him anyway but at least he was able to be sold as a healthy pet.
I have had the same results many times.
I got into this whole thing years ago when I had a litter go down on a new
high protein puppy food. I did what my vet said with half and put them on
the Senior food. The other I still fed the puppy food as I didn't believe
him. Guess what? Yup! The other half stayed down until I switched them. I
have to also add that the line I bred to didn't have great ligamentation. A
lesson learned also.
I don't know what to tell you except maybe you could change him till he is
up and past this stage? The other key is to not let them go down. Watch for
any loosening and switch immediately.
Less protein?
Interestingly, when this problem arises it is usually about he same age as
your puppy.
If you have seen my dogs they are big and deep and strong and they get adult
food all their lives. They all self feed and run in big pens. We have never
had any bloat here and only when I bred a mistake litter into a line with
digestive problems did we have those. The only bitch was spayed and
eventually put down. I will never breed her brother even though he shows no
symptoms and people have begged me to use him.
I know it is hard to do but it the puppy here that matters not who feeds
what.  My vet says not to force early growth. I think we need to look at
causes before we look at cures for ourselves and the animals.
In reality, I agree. I wish we could all go back to the good old days for
ourselves and our dogs.
No bags or boxes or most of all no chemicals. I could go on and on but there
is no answer.
I supplement only with organic chicken but I am lucky to live in Amish
country and have a small farmer butcher close. I buy our meat from him also
and in the summer the stands here are great! Cheap also!
I am just sharing what works for me. Hey, that's all any of us can do.
Ok Evan.... not that there is anything wrong with that!