[ SHOWGSD-L ] PA...Requiring vets to report Abuse

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:26:46 EST

Passing this along FYI.   Always check and research to learn more in your
area.   Storm
 Fwd: [PennDogLeg] Once Again in PA
    Date: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 pm ((PST))

Julian Prager <PennFedLaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:     Another potential attack on
breeders and sportsmen's rights rights is underway in PA.  The Veterinary
Medicine Practice Board is seeking to amend its regulations in a way that could
prevent veterinarians from tail docking, ear cropping, dewclaw removal,
performing c-sections and other surgical procedures.  While its goal of
requiring
veterinarians to report abuse or neglect and to strengthen the veterinary rules
of professional conduct is something we can all support, some of the provision
may critically affect us.  Somehow, the preliminary regulation was issued
unnoticed and the final form regulation is now being proposed.  We will have a
short time to contact our legislators and let them know of our opposition.

  It has stated in its IRRC compliance statement that it "has not identified
any group or subgroup that will be adversely effected by the regulation."

  The regulation defines animal abuse as "to do, or to order or aid another
to do, any act likely to cause unnecessary pain, injury, debility, disease or
lameness or unnecessary fright, stress, panic or hysteria in an animal."

  It defines neglect, in part, of depriving an animal over which you have a
duty of care  of "support for an animal's basic physical and emotional needs."

  It further requires veterinarians to report to the Veterinary Medicine
Practice Board if the matter involves abuse or neglect.  Given the vagueness of
the definitions above, this may impact veterinarians who perform any surgery
which is not medically necessary, including, but not limited to the procedures
mentioned above.  It defines failure to report animal abuse or neglect (as
defined above) as conduct which may result in disciplinary action against the
veterinarian.

  I have reached out to the Board for clarification of these issues.  The
link to the final form regulation is below.

www.irrc.state.pa.us/Documents/SRCDocuments/Regulations/2594/AGENCY/Document-11351.pdf

  Julian Prager
  http://Resolutebulldogs.com

Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news &amp;
more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=ht
tp://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)