[ SHOWGSD-L ] PA Dog Law, facts NOT spin

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:29:35 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2006 10:55:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  numeric limit is 26, but given that it includes
every dog on your  premises over the course of a year,
whether you own it or not -  well, that limit could
affect many active exhibitors and breeders  who are not
commercial breeders by any stretch of the  imagination.

PA HAS required a kennel license (level 1 or K1) for anything over 25 (and
yes, that included every dog on the premises, visiting bitches to be bred, even
 every puppy whelped counted as 1) for as long as I remember.  It goes to
level 2 at 51 dogs and so forth. The regulations are the same as the USDA regs
(copied in fact) re kennel requirements, separate waste disposal, ventilation,
 etc.

Don't believe me?  Here's the act, last amended 10 years ago;
_http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/lib/agriculture/legalreference
/doglawactof1996.pdf_
(http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/lib/agriculture/legalreference/doglawactof1996.pdf)

And if you don't want to wade through all that, here is a summary of fees
from the PA Dept. of Agriculture:

_http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=126794_
(http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=126794)

(When you have a kennel license, your fee for the license is actually much
less, <$75 for K1>, than licensing each individual dog, and by  sending a
request to Harrisburg, you can obtain permission to do your own rabies
vaccines,
so actually, dollars and cents, you come out much, much better.)

THE THRESHOLD FOR OBTAINING A KENNEL LISCENSE HASN'T CHANGED, although  I
suspect some people didn't know/don't play by the rules.  What has  changed is
the PROPOSED formation of an "Advisory" Committee, which will be able  to
represent dog wardens in court, the potential for a usury bond requirement
when
applying for a kennel license (we went over this re. OH, probably $100) and
the
proposed doubling of cage size requirements (I guess if you house animals in
cages).

So, nothing has changed for the hobby breeders (under 25 in any given  year).
 Now, IF the advisory committee is formed (and to date, it hasn't  been
funded), will people doing a little more than "hobby" be (caught and)
regulated?
Maybe. Is that a bad thing?  I guess that  depends.  For years consumers and
"hobby" breeders alike have been  complaining about Lancaster puppy mills.  It
stands to reason, to me  anyway, that those who are more than "hobby" and not
quite "millers", however  you define it, were bound to get caught in the net.
(This is why  I was never all that alarmed with the limits in PAWS, and
probably why the PA  Federation never came out against PAWS; the limits in that
proposed  legislation were far more generous than what was already on the books
in  PA.)

So, Ginger, contrary to whatever list you pull this spin from, the sky  isn't
falling in PA <G>.  The threshold where one would need a  kennel license in
PA isn't new. Now, reasonable people may disagree over the  threshold, but
they're 10+ years late.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_