[ SHOWGSD-L ] Outside they had grass

  • From: elg440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:34:34 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2009 1:39:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
grnram415@xxxxxxx writes:
My point  is this, performance dogs should be able to work anywhere and be
immune to  distractions.  That is what we train them for.  During the
herding  demo, the dogs were all out in the rain, oblivious to the conditions
and
doing  their job.  So, should Eukanuba baby the performance dogs who are
supposed to perform, regardless?  The only issue I saw, and it may not be
true, is that the agility people weren't granted access to the rest of the
venue.  That is wrong.

I always was amazed when the obedience people bitched that the double
handling at the conformation ring disturbed their dogs.  I thought part of
obedience was to teach them to work with distractions.

I also wondered why we conformation people never took out Best of Breed
over to the obedience ring, to be presented and get some applause?

I don't subscribe to the theory that there is some perverse punishment
going on, but each person should have the right to enjoy the activity they
choose, and do so in the best conditions possible.  This year in  conformation
it was held on dirt.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/