[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our German Shepherds can do everything!

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 13:04:32 -0700

I don't care if it's only a conformation dog or a dog that can do everything
out of the sun. Dogs are totally amazing creatures as we all know.

I wanted to share something we found to be extremely touching. I've titled
this the, FIRST TOUCH.

Our German shepherd, Koda is six. Of course, once again the time is going by
fast. We've had him since he was nine weeks old. In all of that time our
brother-in-law Bob has never attempted to touch our German shepherds, Koda,
Stunner or any of our shepherds in the past. I really can't say why. Every
time Bob has come to visit he has ignored the dogs. My girl, Stunner goes
her own way and this is not really important to her. But for Koda, everyone
has to pay attention to him. He would always have that look, "Well, everyone
else wants to touch, or play ball with me. But for some reason not Bob. I
would constantly see Koda touch Robert's hands to get his attention. But Bob
would pull away. I would say the look on Koda's face was humanly broken. He
would stand back and look at Bob with lots of question in his beautiful dark
eyes. I literally found it to be quite sad when I would see this happen. My
husband would notice this as well.

Bob is sixty-six. And he has always loved animals. He had an Australian
terrier named Winston he dearly loved for many years. After Winston went to
the Rainbow Bridge he never got another dog. So why did Bob never want to
interact with Koda or Stunner when visiting us?

Bob and his late wife, Barb always loved their Winston but never had a love
for bigger dogs like our shepherds. And Barb was highly allergic to most
animal hair. So as time went on they rarely made visit to our home. If they
did, I would have the dogs either in another room or on a down stay so they
wouldn't go near Barb. Of course dogs never understand why this happens.

Bob has been coming to visit a lot now since Barb passed away November 4,
2012. His heart seems to be healing okay with all the pain he's been
through. But one never knows one hundred percent how anyone is feeling after
any loss. We all heal differently or maybe never.

What I wanted to share is something Joe and I shared some months ago when
Bob came for dinner. The dogs are always excited over any company coming.
And once again were ignored as they tried to greet Bob as he came through
the door. I watched Koda look at Bob with question once again. I would give
anything to know what our dogs are thinking. We had a nice dinner sharing
good stories. After dinner Joe and Bob went into the living room to visit
while I cleaned the kitchen up. When done I came in and sat with them and
watched some wonderful old country music on TV. We reminisced about the
music and artists' on there. The dogs were lying at our feet in comfort just
having their pack together.

Now, the three of us were visiting. We were just listening and enjoying one
old country number after another when I saw Koda get up and go over to the
side of Bob's chair. He sits close to Bob's chair and just stares at him.
Koda doesn't blink an eye, or move a muscle. I could clearly see what was
happening where I was sitting. At least three to four minutes passed and
Koda hasn't taken his eyes off of Bob when Bob finally turns his head
towards Koda. Bob then looks away to only turn and look back at Koda again
with Koda's intense laser-stare. They are now both looking at each other in
total silence. Koda has this absolute look like he has NOW won Bob's heart.
Then something surprisingly happens. Bob reached over his chair and started
stroking Koda's head and down his shoulders. Koda closed his eyes and loved
the moment he worked so hard for. Bob did this for at least three to four
minutes. Then Koda lay down by his chair with a sigh. It was the first time
Bob ever touched Koda.

Now every time Bob comes for a visit he says, "How's my boy, Koda?" And they
are all over each other. Bob doesn't care about the dog hair anymore and
throws Koda's ball for him. ...Our German shepherds can do EVERYTHING!

Kathy Partch "JoKay's"