[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our Breeds in Society

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:09:49 -0800 (PST)

As breeders our first responsibility is to the breed. We should be breeding to
the standard in the hopes of obtaining as close to perfection as possible. We
are not suppose to be breeding to what the general public's life-style is
about, or what the trend is for winning in the conformation ring or any other
area of performance. If we breed correctly, it will be there.
Some of the comments I hear from potential puppy buyers and others that do not
own GSDs; why do they walk funny, why are their rears so low, why do they hide
when we go to see them and why does the breeder say they just need more
socialization?

They all want dogs that look like a GSD, that can be a family companion and are
healthy and sound. They don't want extreme side-gait, they are not into hard
dogs with exceptional bite and holds, they want all rounders. They want what
they read in the Standard.

When you compromise the standard, and not just areas of temperament, you move
away from what it should be and that is not good breeding. New words come into
the GSD  vocabulary such as, ski-slopes, toe draggers, mish-mashers, pin-heads,
wave at you (ears and fornt feet), spooks, soft temperament, hard temperament,
extreme this and extreme that. They want correct. A correct GSD can do it all.
And not all people should own a GSD.

Lyn Chernak
~ CherLyn Shepherds ~
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~ Membership
   CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC
  Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, RN, TC, CGC