[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our Breeds in Society

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:50:15 -0600

It's been interesting to read the posts here.... Several people seem to think
that I advocate for "dumbing" down our breeds.

Did I say that? No.... Dalmatians were bred to be guard dogs - we don't need
guard dogs in this society. A superb tempered Dalmatian, like a GSD has good
common sense - thinks with his brain before doing something stupid.. They bark
when someone comes to the door and if welcomed in the dogs are polite to the
company.. NO WHERE did I say we were "dumbing" them down.

What I did say is that we need to modify some of the behaviors in some of the
breeds - the prey drive, the need to bark all the time, the super guard dog
instinct.. THOSE we need to modify...

And BTW: I own a GSD with a Lab temperament  - "Hi, I love you" - but when she
did her TC a few years ago, she coulda killed the aggressive stranger and ran
the test with more enthusiasm and less fear then the majority of the dogs in
the test.

About 15 years ago, we took two days with the "Lab" temperament and did the
Doberman TT test through their club... The two Dals passed with flying colors
including going after the aggressive stranger...3/4 of the Dobes flunked...

Dogs with good common sense and appropriate temperaments.. It can be done....

And education......................

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/