[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our Breeds in Society

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:35:15 -0800 (PST)

          I agree, Jessica. Probably most on the list do not remember the
     days before leash laws, when dog were dogs and were allowed          to do
the things they were instinctively meant to do. In the 40s          up until
probably the 70s, most dogs were not confined as they          are now. They
were loose in the neighborhood, got along with          the neighbors, and
usually stayed in their own yards. They got          along with the neighboring
dogs as well, seeming to draw a line          down the the middle of the street
defining their territory. They          instinctively knew the difference
between the good guys and the           bad and acted accordingly. Even in the
70s and 80s, since I          lived in a very small town on a very quiet
street, my dogs were          loose and were never a problem.  Even Animal
Control admired          them and
 often came by just to visit and pet them. I certainly          am not
advocating that dogs be allowed to run loose. In today's          world that is
simply not feasible; however, those of you who          live on acreage were
your dogs can be free I am sure find your          dogs "smarter" than those
who live in kennel runs, no matter how          large.
          Carolyn