[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our Breeds in Society

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>, <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:03:47 -0600

First off, let me say I never said "Modify temperament so we can sell to the
average idiot". What I did say was that not all puppy buyers are perfect - no
matter how much we teach, train and educate. In this society we live in, we
need to have dogs that the average person can make a mistake on and not have to
worry about a dog becoming a biter or eating the small dog across the street.
Things happen in people's lives and we still need dogs that can fit those roles
instead of having to be sent to rescue or worse yet, euthanized.

These DOGS need to fit in - no ifs/ands/butts.

There is a difference between soft and spooky and hence we had a problem with
the definition. A dog can be a spook without being soft - no question about it
- fearbiters come to mind - those aren't soft dogs - those are dogs with either
genetically poor temperaments or undersocialized.. Soft dogs are dogs that
don't have the strong prey drive to chase little dogs and nip kids in the back
of the legs.

Also, I never said we needed to make breeds SOFTER - what I did say is that
dogs need to be modified to fit this society - that doesn't mean turning them
into wimps! Dogs that allow for  few mistakes and don't turn into explosives.

Until people get their heads out of the sand, we are constantly going to fight
the problem of dogs being biters and that breeds should be banned and
eliminated because people are unwilling to make things FIT..

Its about breeder doing public education too....

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/