[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our Breeds in Society

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx, cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:37:46 -0800 (PST)

I have been SO Good to stay out of this topic. BUT IF PEOPLE WANT This BREED TO
BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY THEN GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND TRAIN YOUR DOG.
This past week the USDAA championships haved been held here in Scottsdale. You
know how many German Shepherds where there??? 1 from Oregon Her name is Tory
and she is from my breeding program.  Why should the general public take our
dogs seriously when we don't. How much public PR is there at the local
Specialty shows??? How many public folks show up to see the dogs in the
conformation ring? How long do they stay and does anyone take the time (except
Evan) to talk to them? This wonderful show had many things that people could do
with their dogs. They offered herding instinct testing, Dock dogs and my
personal favorite Leur Coursing!!!!! you could pay to have your dog learn all
of these sports and yet not one GSD was there.

No Tory didn't make it to the finals but we had so many come up and thank us
for being there and representing the breed. Before Tory headed back to Oregon
with her owners Rick and Patty Bensene, she had learned and master Leur
coursing she had 2 silver and 1 bronze metals. She was diving off the tall
platform for Dock dogs. The owners had huge smiles and so did Tory.

If we are not going to get out there and champion our dogs then who in the hell
is???
Where ever we went with Tory people gathered and admired her. Not one person
asked if she was American or German no one cared she was just a great dog that
loved what she was doing and it showed.

We can blame our problems on the AR'ers and it is true they don't make life
easier but the only way you can counter them is get your dogs out there and be
seen enjoying them!!!!

Terry

________________________________
From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 11:03 AM

First off, let me say I never said "Modify temperament so we can sell to the
average idiot". What I did say was that not all puppy buyers are perfect - no
matter how much we teach, train and educate. In this society we live in, we
need to have dogs that the average person can make a mistake on and not have to
worry about a dog becoming a biter or eating the small dog across the street.
Things happen in people's lives and we still need dogs that can fit those roles
instead of having to be sent to rescue or worse yet, euthanized.

These DOGS need to fit in - no ifs/ands/butts.

There is a difference between soft and spooky and hence we had a problem with
the definition. A dog can be a spook without being soft - no question about it
- fearbiters come to mind - those aren't soft dogs - those are dogs with either
genetically poor temperaments or undersocialized.. Soft dogs are dogs that
don't have the strong prey drive to chase little dogs and nip kids in the back
of the legs.

Also, I never said we needed to make breeds SOFTER - what I did say is that
dogs need to be modified to fit this society - that doesn't mean turning them
into wimps! Dogs that allow for  few mistakes and don't turn into explosives.

Until people get their heads out of the sand, we are constantly going to fight
the problem of dogs being biters and that breeds should be banned and
eliminated because people are unwilling to make things FIT..

Its about breeder doing public education too....

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.