[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Other Problems of the Dogs....

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: kebre1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:22:02 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2006 10:44:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kebre1@xxxxxxx writes:
I know  everyone is talking about  MD, but what about other  problems?   I
hate to see a young dog with demodectic  mange.  I know  all dogs carry the
mites
in the nasal cavity, and under  stress it  can flare up.  But it is one thing
that is horrible to clear up  ,  if that is possible, especially when the dog
has a severe  case.  You can't  sell the dog,  pet owners don't and shouldn't

have to deal with  this.  I wouldn't want to breed this animal,  I think it
has
to do with a  low immune system, and it can't deal  with stress ,  so out
pops
the  mange.  I can't believe  there is a breeder out there that can't
recognize
this  problem.

Over the years I have had two puppies that I bought diagnosed w/  "puppy
mange", which I later learned was demodectic mange.  I had no idea  BTW, the
first
was at the vets for routine shots, there was a very small spot on  his back
leg I'd caught him licking and the vet did a slide and saw mange.   Basically,
the vet said it was not a big deal and probably caused by the stress  of
coming to a new home (he'd flown in) and suggested Goodwinol (sp?) and said
within
10 days, with or without treatment, it'd clear up and it  did. Similar
situation the second time, puppy came in, this time I  suspected it,
coincidentally,
also on the inside back of his leg, although I  still had the Goodwinol, I
didn't treat it, remembering the common sense vet  <G> and within days, all by
itself, it cleared up.  Neither  puppy had a reoccurrence.

Neither were ever bred BTW, the first was PTS w/ epilepsy, the second  wasn't
good enough.  But, had they been without issues or good  enough, my
experience wouldn't have prevented me from using them.   This was really a
non-issue.
I suspect there are different degrees  of the problem, ranging from my
experience to having a puppy with a horrible  immune system.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_