[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 'Other Breed' Specialty closed due to maxed out entries

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Joan Fox'" <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l GSDList'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:47:44 -0800

We were at an All Breed two years ago that attracts a lot of GSD because of
ring size
and judges. There was an All Breed handler there that was helping out with
GSD's...
and all during the day he loudly and laughingly gave the GSD exhibitors a hard
time over
what they pay handlers for the GSD Breed.    He pretty much called us all
STOOPID......
He said we are paying a handler so you can have a better shot at
winning....then you
pay a bonus for winning.....so you are actually being 'penalized'  financially
for winning.
Good point.   <G>
We have always used new upcoming handlers.     Seems no one will give them a
good
dog......until someone DOES!!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 'Other Breed' Specialty closed due to maxed out
entries

One of the biggest reasons for lower entries are the handlers fees.
A/B handlers that show many breeds are allot cheaper than our GS Specialty
handlers and the
expenses are allot less.
It would be nice if people used the "new" handlers more but few are willing to
take the chance as
so many judges look at the "faces" in the ring.

Honestly, as the handlers that we all recognize are becoming fewer and fewer
and they do not
move like years ago this will have to change.  LOL
Joan

Joan F. Fox
17500 Haskins Rd.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023
tel: 440-759-4119
http://www.campaignersgsds.com <http://www.campaignersgsds.com/>

On Friday, January 16, 2015 9:30 PM, Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Carolyn I think much of what you cite is true for many. However it has been
argued on many occasions on this List that the 'economy" is major factor in the
dwindling of the GSD entry. The economy pertains to all, not just to the GSD
exhibitor and it doesn't seem to be affecting the entries of many other breeds
. CG

   It really never matters to me howmany Labs or other Breeds fill their rings.
I would never give up GSD's
just so I could handle in the show ring.
This IS the Breed!!  <G>
I think we cannot ever judge our Breed by another Breed.  I am sure they have
their share of popular judges, popular
show venues, time of year....nice indoor ring, or nice outdoor ring...whichever
they
prefer that attracts them...or 'cyles of Breed popularity'.Same syndromes we
have with  our Breed.   Does
it really matter that they outnumberus?  Do wereally want a GSD that moves like
a Golden?
YEP...we definitely have some
issues with how our Breed is shown.
At times it makes it really really tough to
compete.   That our GSD shows and
Clubs are failing IS a major concern.     But personally
I love to watch a great German Shepherd Dog
gaiteasily around a BIG ring with an
attitude of loving it, and the desire to go again.  YEP...it is difficult for
some of
us to show them that way....and YEP...someone my age
can no longer keep up.   Actually most of us breed dogs we
CANNOT keep up with anyway.
<G>   I'm grateful for handlers to take them
and keep up with them.We can't change the breed or
show venue because WE age!
<G>     It's gratifying to us to see
our dog perform at its best and happy in the ring showing
off side gait and quality the way
we've trained them with a handler that allows them to
show that way.
I don't care to watch a long striding GSD in a
small ring....especially indoors.
Just is not what I want to do or watch.   That's just me....Some choose to send
their dogs
away....some prefer All Breeds....I can't do
either....but I cannot criticize that
either.   Their choice......your
choice...... my choice.
   Carolyn
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   On Behalf Of Ruth
Scheubler   To:
suzannejambe@xxxxxxxxxxx; DaList
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Specialty
closed due to maxed out entries  The entries for Labs are
large here also and so many of the dogs are owner handled.
The style of showing our breed has evolved into something
that most owners can't take part in. It is not as much
fun sending your dog off to a pro to condition and show
while you have no part in it other than signing checks. Most
people get involved in dog events because they want
something they can do with their dog and we are rapidly
leaving them all to find other breeds. Been to a Siberian
Specialty lately? Almost all of the dogs are shown in Bred
By and their breeders are generally amateur
handlers.
 Ruth  On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 7:09