[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 'Other Breed' Specialty closed due to maxed out entries

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, <suzannejambe@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'DaList'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:58:01 -0800

Some  are 'switching' from  the GSD Breed because of the way they show??

It really never matters to me how many Labs or other Breeds fill their rings.
I would never give up GSD's just so I could handle in the show ring.
This IS the Breed!!  <G>
I think we cannot ever judge our Breed by another Breed.  I am sure they have
their
share of popular judges, popular show venues, time of year....nice indoor ring,
or nice
outdoor ring...whichever they prefer that attracts them...or 'cyles of Breed
popularity'.
Same syndromes we have with  our Breed.   Does it really matter that they
outnumber
us?  Do we really want a GSD that moves like a Golden?
YEP...we definitely have some issues with how our Breed is shown.   At times it
makes
it really really tough to compete.   That our GSD shows and Clubs are failing
IS a
major concern.     But personally I love to watch a great German Shepherd Dog
gait
easily around a BIG ring with an attitude of loving it, and the desire to go
again.
YEP...it is difficult for some of us to show them that way....and YEP...someone
my age
can no longer keep up.   Actually most of us breed dogs we CANNOT keep up with
anyway.   <G>   I'm grateful for handlers to take them and keep up with them.
We can't change the breed or show venue because WE age!   <G>

It's gratifying to us to see our dog perform at its best and happy in the ring
showing
off side gait and quality the way we've trained them with a handler that allows
them to
show that way.   I don't care to watch a long striding GSD in a small
ring....especially
indoors.   Just is not what I want to do or watch.   That's just me....
Some choose to send their dogs away....some prefer All Breeds....I can't do
either....but
I cannot criticize that either.   Their choice......your choice...... my
choice.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Ruth Scheubler   To: suzannejambe@xxxxxxxxxxx; DaList
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Specialty closed due to maxed out entries

The entries for Labs are large here also and so many of the dogs are owner
handled. The style of showing our breed has evolved into something that most
owners can't take part in. It is not as much fun sending your dog off to a pro
to condition and show while you have no part in it other than signing checks.
Most people get involved in dog events because they want something they can do
with their dog and we are rapidly leaving them all to find other breeds. Been
to a Siberian Specialty lately? Almost all of the dogs are shown in Bred By and
their breeders are generally amateur handlers.

Ruth

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Suzanne Jambe <suzannejambe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"The Papago Labrador Retriever Club Of Greater Phoenix specialty on Saturday,
February 7 has reached its numerical limit and will not be accepting any new
entries."
From the Entries on Time Facebook page.  And our much-loved Specialty shows
like the Triangle are in jeopardy....hmmm,....

Sent from my iPad