[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Oral Critiique at the Show - some thoughts

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amidon@xxxxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

There is too much instant gratification in the world today.  And there is too
little interaction between people to teach them manners and patience.

  I am TRYING  to raise my kids to wait for things to come to them, to work for
what they want. But computers and TV have killed patience, and using education
as a tool.

  My kids expect me to know about every aspect of life and do little to
investigate for themselves.  Despite my efforts, they are as lazy and selfish
as most.

  Most of what is wrong with shows and showing comes from people expecting
their first dog to be the best ever, and at 4 months old no less.  The idea
that they should apply their brains to the matter is not acceptable to most.
And waiting for the dog to grow up is unacceptable too.

  I have the good fortune to have been raised with the Standard and these
wonderful dogs.  I have the best fortune to have learned much of what I think I
know from your sister and my mom and Lorriane.  Few have that under their belt.

  I can only hope that all the education I recieved on Jackie's kitchen floor
has paid off.  I will decide that when the pups are much older.

  I must wait, as the line I went into is slow developing.  No puppy champions
here.

  And that may, in the long run, be good for the breed.  I can hope.......<G>
  sheila
Barbara or DTA Amidon <amidon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have always tried to be nice and help the new people coming into the
breed..You should see how their lack of courtesy and manners have had me up
late at night wondering what has happened to people...I still will try and help
the more intelligent new people but will no longer get myself upset at their
behavior..It is a two way street..Being nice makes for good relations..What
happened to reading and learning some before jumping in and buying because it
is cheap and closer????Barbara Amidon Where Quality begets Quality

www.amber-german-shepherds.com

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training