[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Opinions, please -- 4 show weekend

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tediginsburg@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

There is a lot to talk about.

  I went to the January "Orlando" cluster.  This was 3 club, and 6 days of
shows.  I was at the Sat and Sun shows.  Two shows each day.  Scott had his
"food cart" there too, yum!

  It was hardest on the handlers.  The dogs were a bit confused, but otherwise
fine.  The ones not conditioned really well and the young ones did not fair as
well as the well conditioned mature dogs, but I cannot say that the dogs were
deeply affected by the length of the day or having to go into the ring "twice"
as much as usual.  However, not all dogs were entered in all shows either.

  It is the human factor that was most affected.  George handled for me, and by
the end of the day he was wiped, and he had no dogs to care for himself, and he
is in great shape.

  Given the condition of shows in general, the handlers will have to cope.

  The Ft Lauderdale and Miami clubs had one show Fri, 2 Sat, and one Sun.  It
went well.  Yes Sat was hard, but not as bad as several days of 2 shows a day.
We will be doing this again in Feb 08.

  I have to say it worked well overall.  One thing we did that helped was to
have a free lunch on Sat.  Everyone ate, even people who often skip eating at
shows and that helped maintain the energy levels needed.

  I spoke to Scott and Lauren after and they said the worst of it is packing up
at the end of a doublely long day and taking care of the dogs after doing so
much.  I have looked for a hotel/show site, but found nothing sadly.  That
would be the best way to have 2 shows a day, with no transporting to a site.
But life is what it is.

  Also weather factored in to both groups of shows.  Jan had a heat wave that
took out a lot of us, or slowed us down.  My dogs, all house dogs, stayed in
the van with the A/C running all day.  Feb was in the upper 70's and no one was
suffering from it.

  I believe the Orlando cluster is happening again, I am sure you will hear
from Amy Safdir about this.  I am now a member of both Miami and Ft Lauderdale
so that I can secretary both clubs' shows.  We will be doing the same deal
again.  It worked.

  The advantage of having more than 2 shows in a weekend clearly out weight the
problems.  Costs are down for handlers and exhibitors, there are more judges to
work with at one time. And I think the dogs did just fine, all shows had a good
turn out to be sure.

  My club had the biggest entry we have had in a long time.  Making noise on
the List helped too, but for 4 shows people will travel further.  Everyone had
a good time at both groups of shows.

  I recommend clustering clubs together, it works.  Alex Mues was at both
weekends and he is on the lisit, I hope he will put in his reflections on
events.  Mike Sherman was at both, but he does not own a computer, George was
at both and while he is not on the list he has email! ask him too.  Kent came
to Orlando, but not Ft Lauderdale.

  I hope this helps you decide what to do, I would do it!!!
  sheila
Tediginsburg@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Any listers who've been to specialty 4 show weekend, how did you like it?
What was good about it? What was bad about it?

If your club was one of the hosing club, same questions. What was good about
it? What was bad about it?

We're considering it and would like some input from people who've been
involved. If you don't want to post to the List, just e mail me privately.

Tedi (President, GSDC of Long Beach)

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.