[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Opinion on the Lowering of the Requirements for OFA CHIC

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Scharo777@xxxxxxx, tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:19:39 EDT

Welllllll...were we worried about the pet buying public or the  "breeder"?

As has been mentioned the past few days, a thyroid test on a dog is a
snapshot and can change.  I'm not impressed.  I have to tell you, if I  bring a
bitch to your dog and he can get her pregnant, or if you have a bitch  you
bring to my male who can get and stay pregnant without us having to say a
Novena...fine by me.  Then again, I've never dealt w/ thyroid issues, so
maybe it's a bigger problem than I know.

As far as hearts, I have puppies checked and adults are always checked (w/
an EKG) before anesthesia...so when I do  hips/elbows...hearts are tested.
I've never bothered to send the report in to the OFA.  Bad me.

DM tests?  I'll wait until we are in agreement on which one works for
GSDs.  Never dealt w/ that either, thank God.

As far as the pet buying public...I've done my share to educate.   Someone
else have a go at it...pu-lease!!!!!

I had a fellow a few weeks back ask for a fax of a bitch's CKC registration
 and DNA certs on both parents because he couldn't "find" those things on
line.  True enough.  Sometimes it's just easier to go along w/ the
request...I hope he had a color fax on the receiving end for the pretty DNA
certs,
lol!

In conclusion, if I am interested in a certain pedigree, I'll go to the
BREEDERS, not a data base.  Tell me what I should stay away from, what
problems have cropped up, on occasion and w/ frequency.  And so far, I've  met
real people w/ honest answers, willing to share their  concerns.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 8/31/2010 6:04:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:

I was at  the meeting where this was discussed.   And there was a  heated
discussion about it.
I am going to try to tell about it from  memory.
It seems:  The standards that the GSDCA had set for CHIC were  the  highest
of any breed.  That also means it was the most  tests to obtain and  TO PAY
FOR.  Consequently the numbers of  Goldens  with a CHIC   was in the
thousands.  While  shepherds had earned less than 100  CHIC's.
Now, that really looks  bad, don't you think.  The people looking at  the
statistics  don't make the correlation that a GSDCA CHIC is harder  to
obtain.
They jump to the conclusion that shepherds CANNOT obtain  a  CHIC.

It you want to take someone to task, criticize the  breeders who have not
bothered to or could afford to obtain a  CHIC.

Just what I think

Carol Moore

In a message  dated 8/31/2010 3:57:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Well, I  have to agree with you  here.  The database, which actually meant
something, has now  opened up from the fifty or so dogs who 'se owners
cared
enough to  do the testing to HUNDREDS.  Not knocking all of you who
actually do hip and elbows and the temperament test but the CHIC was
SUPPOSED  to
be a breeder's referral database.  Although I would  have preferred to  see
the DM tests and other true genetic tests that  do not change  over time.
really expected more from the   PC................<sigh>
Suzanne

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/