[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: One more...My Input...Streaming video Event...

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-l Showgsd-l List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 01:21:38 -0400

"Birgit Rhoads" <wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:  From a photographer's point of
view, on my monitors, the video picture looked like the  cameras were set to a
high noise reduction (not sound, but picture noise) so that everyone and dogs
appear flat and a bit blurry. If the noise reduction were turned off, you would
be able to see a lot more detail.

The "flatness" and blurring on streaming video is not due to the cameras, but
rather due to the digital compression needed to transfer the video over the
implemented bandwidth.  Digital compression is a complex process by which a
stream of computer-generated digital information is compressed into smaller
"packets" of data thus allowing information to be sent using less bandwidth.
The lower the bandwidth the more compression needed and the lesser the quality
of the streaming video.  Action sequences require the most compression and are
thus more susceptible to "artifacts," such as blurring and "blocking" (that's
those little "squares" of color).

I think they've tweaked the parameters as best they can.  If you want a better
picture, you have to pay BIG bucks for more bandwidth.  The streaming video
from the Sieger show was phenomenal, but in order to view it, each person had
to PAY for it.  It wasn't offered for free to anyone who could connect like our
National streaming video.

I've think all involved in broadcasting the National live have done a
phenomenal job!  (I even love Lana's commentary!  <G>)  Thank you all very
much!!!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam