[ SHOWGSD-L ] One more time-San Antonio!!!

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:41:53 EDT

Action Alert!

August 3, 2007

Oppose:  San Antonio Animal Ordinance Revisions

"What passes in San Antonio WON'T stay in San Antonio..."

Check the "Action Alert!" yellow button on our website for the ordinance

draft and more information:

www.responsiblepetowww.respo

On the same day California's AB1634 went down in flames, a similar ordinance

emerged in San Antonio, Texas.  Our local "animal rights" extremists have

worked three years laying the groundwork and finally got everything they

wanted in print.  We ask everyone - individuals, breed/kennel local and

national clubs - to pull out your California letters to legislators, adapt

them and send them to our San Antonio city officials listed below.  And

please send RPOA a copy for our website.

A list of "Ordinance Provisions that must go!" is on our website under the

"Action Alert!" blinking yellow button.  Please include those points so we

present a united front and aren't fragmented in what we are seeking.

These ordinance changes will be expensive to implement; a nightmare to

administer with all the inspections and paperwork; impossible to enforce and

require a huge new bureaucracy with excessive power given to the Animal Care

Services director.

The proposed ordinance includes these objectionable provisions: Mandatory

spay/neuter of all outdoor cats and all dogs over 6 months of age unless a

$50 Intact Dog Permit is purchased (in addition to $75 unaltered pet

license); Breeder/Litter Permits; new Pet Limits with mandatory spay/neuter

requirements; new Livestock Limits with annual permits and high fees per

animal; bond required every 30 days for dangerous dogs held for hearings;

and a $25 fee for each animal turned in at Animal Care Services.

Proposed changes to San Antonio's animal ordinance will do nothing to save

the thousands of animals killed in San Antonio every year as claimed - many

of them feral cats. San Mateo County, CA, reported an increase in animals

killed after passing a similar ordinance in 1991. "Animal Rights" Activists

sought this same legislation in San Antonio in 1991 but it was defeated.

This is a national "Animal Rights" Legislative Agenda to end all use,

breeding and ownership of animals whether you eat them, wear them or pet

them.

The 5 Year Strategic Plan for a No Kill Community by 2012 will be doomed.

The No Kill Philosophy is programs and services - not legislation. San

Antonio has many new proactive programs to address their animal problems.

Most of the animals killed at San Antonio's Animal Care Services come from

only 9 of the city's zip codes. The ordinance changes will affect every

animal owner in the city.

The ordinance discriminates against low income pet owners and ethnic

minorities, making animal ownership cost prohibitive and compliance

difficult which creates outlaws out of animal owners. Animals will be dumped

or hidden.

These proposed ordinance changes are not unique to San Antonio. They are the

result of a concerted effort by a heavily funded and well organized

international "animal rights" movement which has many local followers.

Call San Antonio city officials and tell them this will NOT work and what

will work:

1.  Enforcement of existing leash laws, animal nuisance and animal cruelty

laws.

2.  Educate children and adults in responsible pet care and bite prevention.

3.  Target areas of city where most animals are impounded with special

programs.

4.  Increase and publicize existing free and low cost pet spay/neuter

programs.

Please contact city officials below!

Address for all: City of San Antonio, PO Box 839966, San Antonio, TX 78283

Mayor Phil Hardberger

Phone: (210) 207-7060; Fax: (210) 207-4168

E-mail: mayorphilhardbergerE-mail: mayoE-m

City Manager Sheryl Sculley

Phone: (210) 207-7080; Fax: (210) 207-4217

E-mail: citymanager@E-mail: citE-m

Councilwoman Mary Alice Cisneros

Phone: (210) 207-7279; Fax: (210) 207-6931

E-mail: maryalice.cisneros@E-mail: marE-m

Councilwoman Sheila McNeil

Phone: (210) 207-7278; Fax: (210) 207-4496

E-mail: district2@sanantoniE-mai

Councilman Roland Gutierrez

Phone: (210) 207-7064; Fax: (210) 534-1931

E-mail: district3@sanantoniE-mai

Councilman Philip Cortez

Phone: (210) 207-7281; Fax: (210) 678-0099

E-mail: district4@sanantoniE-mai

Councilwoman Lourdes Galvan

Phone: (210) 207-7043; Fax: (210) 212-4860

E-mail: vsalazar@sanantonioE-ma

Councilwoman Delicia Herrera

Phone: (210) 207-7065; Fax: (210) 207-8760

E-mail: district6@sanantoniE-mai

Councilman Justin Rodriguez

Phone: (210) 207-7044; Fax: (210) 207-8181

E-mail: district7@sanantoniE-mai

Councilwoman Diane Cibrian

Phone: (210) 207-7086; Fax: (210) 949-0439

E-mail: diane.cibrian@E-mail: diaE-m

Councilman Kevin Wolff

Phone: (210) 207-7325; Fax: (210) 207-7803

E-mail: kwolff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Councilman John Clamp

Phone: (210) 207-7276; Fax: (210) 207-8777

E-mail: john.clamp@sanantonE-mail

Faxes and phone calls are best with e-mail a third choice or just do all

three!  For more information, check out our website.

Responsible Pet Owners Alliance

900 NE Loop 410  #311-D

San Antonio, TX  78209

Phone:  (210) 822-6763