[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: One more time

  • From: "billie" <arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:51:42 -0800

I have been gone most of the day and have more emails than I can read just
now.
I am not sure if many have responded to this.
I can answer from my own personal experience. Our second GSD was a ball nut.
We used the hard English Cresitte Balls. One day  while playing with the
kids she caught it pretty hard. Shortly after that we noticed a small
fracture with her upper molar the last one, on the upper right. This was in
the mid 60's. No Vet dentist around at that time that we were aware of. The
Vet said just to watch it etc.
Anyway, long story short she eventually had to have that tooth extracted.
She was pointed and we were afraid her career was finished. I carried the
fractured, extracted tooth and a letter from the Vet with me to every show
she was entered in. She was never faulted for that as near as I could tell,
and she did finish her championship and a CD. She was our first Champion and
the foundation for all who followed. We weren't going to push our luck with
a CDX, she was a real "nut" about catching things and carrying them in her
mouth.
I really felt that the judges didn't even see that it was missing, since it
wasn't on the judges side , an upper tooth and the last one .
It has been my experience that the judges who open the dogs mouth so wide
they look like an alligator is because they often had missing teeth in their
own line. We don't see that as much these days.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA.