[ SHOWGSD-L ] Old Show Secretary Stories!!!!

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 23:00:07 -0700 (PDT)

All this talk about show secretaries brings back some fond memories. Please
indulge me,when i look back at what happened i get a chuckle now. The names
have been left out to protect the innocent. The only thing you should know is
some of the actors in this play are active members of this list, have been
board members in the past and are board members today. I hope you take it with
a grain of salt and can laugh!!!!

  When i first joined the Golden State GSD club of San Jose many moons ago,
they asked the new sucker(ME!!!) to be the show secretary. Trying to me a good
new member and as i thought that being secretary was really the ring steward, i
said SURE!!!!. Then after i committed ofcourse i found out what the job really
was. Well in any case i enlisted the help of my not so amused wife and we got
the entries all done etc etc and with ofcoure the help of some of the club
members also. So i thought i was done!!!! Nope, the next few events shaped my
dog life going forward!!!

  The show starts and a certain big name breeder wants to move up their dog as
the show is beginning. They call me and ask me to move their dog(who later
became WD at the National and Select). So Hell! I don't know the rules and at
the same time i am getting the "evil eye" from a number of exhibitors who
followed the rules and did the move up in the required time, so go find Bob
Penny, figuring if anyone know the rules he does. He tells me that NOOOOOOO! it
is not allowed to move up a dog at the last minute as the show as began and i
did so i could get the club in serious trouble with the AKC. So i go to inform
the party that i can't let them in and the fun begins!!! The handler calls me
asinine!! The owner tell me every story under the book about how they could not
get to the show on time because their car broke down blah blah blah!! The
breeder then gets their friends, another prominent breeder  involved to put
pressure on me. They wonder who the hell is this guy!!!! Most
 probably called me every name in the book, but not to my face. The show is now
not in the ring but outside it, things are getting heated, the more they shout
the more i dig in!!! Now nobody is going to move me from my position. Our club
members get invoived, one of them is cop as he is nose to nose with one of the
prominent breeders underneath is sweater i see a gun!!!! My wife, who has never
attended another dog show, can't understand what is happening. It is chaos,
finally when they see that i can't be moved from my position, thing subside.The
show goes on!!!

  Now here comes the irony, the breeder is now my better clients, the friend of
the breeder who went to her defense is now someone i see at dog shows quite
regularly and am friendly with(even handled some his dogs in the past). The
handler that called my actions asinine, is the one who doesn't get fed at dog
shows, but i consider him to be an allright fellow and i have offered to
provide him a brown bag lunch anytime he wants it.

  The morale of the story is: Their will always be another dog show, lets
follow the rules, lets be supportive of the people who are putting in their
free time to be of help(but let's insist they do a good job) and let have fun
with eachother and you know let's not cast stones at eachother, we all have
enough "dirty laundry" to be a little bit more understanding.  Because when we
are on our death bed, lets be able to look back at this life that we had at the
dogs shows and SMILE!!!!!!!!

  Never be a show secretary again,Bill

  P.S.  i called Eileen Parr on Saturday to confirm that an entry got in and
got her on the third ring.