[ SHOWGSD-L ] Old Auf Deutsch.....

  • From: "Jane E Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:43:06 -0500

Die Grossmutter was aging....
Looking out the kitchen window one morning, I saw her running, yes she was
running,  in the alfalfa field next to house with two of the German Shepherd
Dogs.

Wonder of Wonders!!

"Grossmutter," I shrieked.... "Halt, Stop, Stop... You are much too old to be
running in the alfalfa field with those big German Shepherd Dogs. You are near
82 years old now. The place for you is in your rocking chair in the kitchen.
When, just when,  will you stop thinking you are still young????"

"Jane, Liebchen".... she shouted back at me. She paused and bent over to tie
her now loosened shoe laces on her running shoes. She was breathing deeply and
catching her breath.

(The above is known as the "show lace trick". She learned it from smart German
Shepherd Dog handlers who are trying to stall, thus allowing their aging double
handler to get around to the other end of the Conformation Ring before that
important pass on the "individual" after the "down and back" She also learned
she needed a bigger bell.)

Here's what she shouted to me.

"I will stop running and playing with German Shepherd Dogs about 30 minutes
before I draw my last breath.
Only then do I stop loving and playing with German Shepherd Dogs.... the
smartest, bravest, and most beautiful dog on Planet Earth..

"Es machts nichts aus how old and creaky these old bones get. One of the
reasons I get up in the morning is to play with and watch the most amazing
Hunds on Planet Earth."

(Die  Grossmutter spoke both Hochdeutsch and Plattdeutsch with an umlaut.)

"Du verstehst das nicht !!!"

" I do not want the kinds of dogs I need to dress on a cold morning before I go
outside to play with them, or even own the kind of hund  I can carry around in
my purse.  I love the German Shepherd Dog. Why aren't you out here playing with
the dogs?"

She was right, of course.

Not until about 30  minutes before I draw my last breath, God willing.