[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ok Judges

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:07:36 -0700

BUT... I think what they are asking the judges is: "As you follow the
process described above - What are you looking  for in each situation?  What
are you evaluating?"

Personally, I "think" I know

Paul adds...

The Standard makes it clear. I described my interpretation of a dog on "a
loose lead at its best speed". I would say I was evaluating the ability of
the dog in motion to comply to the requests of the Standard.

It was also telling when I mentioned I watched the dogs come into the ring.
Often that is the only time you don't see them being over doubled.

The dogs eyes...another tell. You don't have to touch a dog to know it's not
sound...

Down and back is a no brainer. The dog either single tracks or it doesn't.
If you don't see the dogs pads going away the hocks don't open and that's
incorrect. If the dog stops and its front is going East West...is that a
problem?

We Judges can give you our "subjective interpretation" of the Standard but
if you aren't keyed into what we're looking at...nothing we say will make
any sense. Earlier suggestions of knowing the Standard and putting it
together with the Illustrated Standard is an excellent tool.

I am not a "fault Judge" so there are several things some do look at that
don't come into play until the very end. Let's say I have a dog that is
beautiful in type and motion but is missing 2 teeth and one is a pre molar.
Do I punish that dog in comparison to a refined dog that looks sorta
resembles a Collie that clearly doesn't cover the most ground with the
minimum number of steps? The dog isn't faulty in motion and does offer some
OK examples of secondary sex characteristics. In other words...you can tell
it's a GSD.

Perhaps the fancy could tell me...as a Judge...what they think we...as
Judges...should do. I would be interested in that, too.

Paul

Paul