[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Often The Majority Rules!

  • From: Jastek5@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 01:06:48 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/2005 9:30:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ELG440@xxxxxxx
writes:
> want the best judge whoever that might be. I don't want any  limits on who
> we have, so we can pick the best person every year. I don't want  limits on
> Selects just because I want the judge we pick to have the right to do  the
> job
> they are elected to.
>
> When we try to express honesty or fairness with rules and  laws, all we do
> is
> give the crooked people an incentive  to find a way  to beat the rules. You
> can't legislate honesty or intelligence.   All  you can do is vote as best
> you
> can, and have faith in whom we  elect.

I agree honesty and fairness can't be legislated. However just like we say
there is "no perfect dog" there is no "perfect judge", because in something
that
is as subjective as the GSD world, perfection or degree of perfection is
truly in the eye of the beholder. There is a wide variety of opinion as to who
is
and who is not a good judge. As a result we end up with judges that typically
get in due to some concentrated voting lobby(eg. a handler gets togethor a
bunch of his or her clients and gets someone voted in). This is ofcourse
perfectly legal and happens in any and all voting mechanisms but it doesn't
guarantee
that the most qualified people get elected to judge the national.
I think the single biggest negative issue that we face in the conformation
ring is a general "lack of consistency and quality in judging". That is not to
say that we don't have a handful of good judges, but try to have your friends
name 5 and you will see the list is different for everyone and just like
politics and religion you will see it that it will evoke the strongest of
sentiments.  I think the fact that we have rapidly declining entries, the board
trying
to mandate the tempermant testing, the board trying to mandate the number of
selects is an indication of the lack of overall faith in the judging as a
whole(be it honesty or knowledge or both). I don't believe you treat a problem
by
treating the symptoms, you have the treat the problem.  In the perfect world
every judge should be honest, every judge should take incredibly seriously
their
responsibility to the breed, every judge to work very hard to improve their
knowledge. Knowing that we don't live in this perfect world the Board should
always continue to stive for that perfection. Until we embark on a greater
emphasis from our board on addressing the root problem(and not the symptoms) by
sponsoring and supporting programs to improve our judging with things like:
judging seminars, judging training and constant judging evaluation and
re-evaluation. These are longer terms solutions but i fear that unless we are
willing to
address these our slide will continue. It's up to us.