[ SHOWGSD-L ] Off the Handle

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:23:05 -0700

She said:  "Rules is Rules ! Obey the rules !! And the Rule is, nobody takes
the Schnapps away from a Pomeranian , no matter what. And the llth
Commandment is, Thou shalt not hassle, at least until you have all the
facts."
Jane Kerner

Jane....
My Paternal German Grandmother died long before I remember, so I was
wondering if I could adopt yours?
I had to get grandparent wisdom from my German grandfather, who didn't talk
much, except that when he did, everyone listened. Possibly he was related to
your grandmother.

I do remember one day, when I was very young, being angry at some people who
were calling him names and taunting him. He said nothing, but took me aside
and said, "David, they do not know me, they only know I have an accent. We
are at war with Germany and they have every right to hate what they think I
am. But they do not know me. Leave them alone. They are not wrong to feel
what they do."

I did not understand at the time, but I learned over the years that his
compassion and ability to let people have their emotions without judgment
was precious. Too bad they could not have known the facts and changed their
emotions, but then, sometimes emotions preclude knowing anything else.

I do love your grandmother.....
Dave