[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Off leash dog parks

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:52:02 -0400

You all may have had better experiences than I.  I hate off-lead parks and will
NOT take my dogs there.  I have seen dog fights, people fights and people just
dropping off dogs for the day, unsupervised.  I have no idea if these dogs are
healthy, vaccinated or friendly.  Not for me.

I prefer to set up doggy play dates.  I teach obedience so I get my students to
get together with dogs they know from class and play.  They have to work at
class so this gives them a way to socialize with their doggy friends.  I have
attended dog birthday parties with my own dogs and my students dogs where they
all get to play games and have fun off-lead.  Since I know the history of these
dogs and how they react to each other, I am confident when they play together.
This is a much safer method although not practical for everyone.

I use human parks for socialization more than dog parks.  I take them to places
that have dog activities happening on a regular basis.  We hit jogging trails
where we are sure to run into tons of people and dogs.  I also take them to pet
stores or anywhere they will let us roam.  Not to mention, they travel to dog
shows with me and end up in my vendor booth alot.

Dog parks, NO.  But you can sure use your imagination to find fun places to
socialize your dogs.  JMHO

Laura