[ SHOWGSD-L ] Obedience judge was wrong?

  • From: "Robert George" <bruiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:26:14 -0600

I normally don't post but I have to say that I don't think the judge was
wrong.  The thing is that the obedience area should be relatively free
from distractions.  Usually the obedience rings are away from the
conformation rings for that reason.  So bad on that show superintendent!

As for training for distractions, here are my thoughts on that. People
who train their dogs for obedience normally do train around as many
distractions as possible.  The idea is to train enough so the dog won't
be "thrown-off" by normal distractions.  There is no way you can train
around every distraction or really large distractions.

Personally, I think that people should behave around the obedience ring
like they would at a tennis match or a golf tournament.  I think that
running around close to the ring, yelling to someone three rings away,
dragging a dolly full of barking dogs right by the ring is just wrong.
I think it is disrespectful to the teams that are in the ring.  Those
people and their dogs have done a lot of training to be there.  I think
they deserve a little respect by passerby's or people just watching.

Don't jump to the conclusion that I just don't like conformation or
double handling because I also do conformation and just finished my
first dog.  I love to see my dog's head come up and the way she moves
when she hears me double her.  There are places to carry on and places
to be quiet.

Just my opinion.
-Bob George