[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OUTDOOR NATIONAL

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joan Fox <campaigners@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, marhaven@xxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:37:03 -0800 (PST)

The numbers that you posted for the entries. Was that the total dogs entered in
all venues, or just conformation?
  Terry
Joan Fox <campaigners@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url (#default#vml);}      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url
(#default#vml)  }              There is no ball park figure that I know of.
It's common sense.
  More entries mean more seats, stalls, dinners, catalogues, books, Rescue
income,  etc.
  People go to see the dogs.

  Joan

  From: Peggy To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:42
AM

  Kudos to Rita for this post.

  Unless you have stood and judged for an entire day, you have no idea how
tiring it is.
  Yes, it's exhilarating, but it is work, both physical and mental.
  No matter how physically fit you are, you are looking at spending a day or
two on your feet...bending over, straightening up, bending again, straightening
up again, walking around,
  focusing and concentrating on dogs...and you are the only one bearing the
burden on the
  day. Doing this out in the heat, or in the rain, or bitter cold with wind
blowing, is no picnic.
  It's hard enough in ideal weather conditions...plus, if you consider that
some dogs have
  an advantage being seen in the sunlight, while others sort of fade away
because they are
  in the shade...you might understand why it's better indoors.
  All dogs look better out on the grass, everyone admits that, just as almost
all dogs look
  better on a loose lead. However,I'm sure even spectators don't want to sit or
stand around
  and watch judging in the rain for a day or two...no fun, folks!
  As nice as it sounds to "take the National outdoors again," believe me, it
isn't the greatest
  idea in the world...and as for Arizona, well, I was just there while our own
National was on,
  and while I judged indoors, I went to the allbreed show the next day, and it
was out in a
  dustbowl...if people think the dust in St. Louis was bad, you should have
been in Arizona.
  Yes, the temperatures were fine...but the dust was unbelievable!
  People still complain about the cold Nationals, where they were wrapped up in
blankets,
  and guess what?
  It seems to me no matter where the National is held, someone is going to be
unhappy.
  indoors may not be perfect, but at least it won't be affected by the wind and
the rain or the
  heat and humidity. Let's keep trying to find the perfect indoor site: one
most people can
  get to without too much difficulty, and one that has no dust, with perfect
lighting, great food concessions, good hotels, lots of places to go out to
dinner, where we can sod the ring
  and have all the dogs on equal footing, in the same lighting (whether it's
great or not),
  and where spectators and judges both can enjoy the dogs and one another
without
  fear of weather. Peggy

  Rita Sandell wrote:

  >I am writing in response to an outdoor National for the following reason:
  >
  > 1) I have judged two Nationals, one being outside.
  >
  > With my experience of judging both indoors and out I would not want to
judge a National outdoors again. Here are the reasons:

  > 1) It is both mentally and physically exhausting to do a National. It is
not like judging regular shows.

  > 2) Contending with the elements such as heat, cold, rain, etc would hamper
the judges ability to do as good a job of judging as possible. I did Del Mar
and I was standing and walking on hard dirt in the sun for 2 1/2 days of
judging. Believe me when I tell you I was exhausted after each day. I would go
back to the hotel, get in the hot tub (thank goodness there was one at the
hotel) for one hour, go back to my room and order room service, eat, and go to
bed. I wanted to be as sharp as possible the next day.

  > 3) The exhibitors are owed your BEST when judging the National.
  >
  > 4) Weather these days is pretty unpredictable making it impossible to know
what the weather is going to be like three years down the road. Remember
Kentucky?

  > This is from a judge's point of view.
  >

  > Rita Sandell

  POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

  http://mail.yahoo.com

Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low  PC-to-Phone call rates.