[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT-sort of

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:05:04 -0400

Tomorrow I will be attending my first graduation of Guide dogs and their new
assignments with their humans.  During the last month, I have watched these
dogs and their new partners go through extentive training to start their new
lives.  The recipients spend 28 days, 24/7, in a dorm working with the dogs and
trainers to become working partners.  It is awesome to watch.

This class was all Labs.  I got to spend some time with the dogs before the
start of class.  I have learned a lot about what it takes to get a dog ready
for this job.  There are a lot of downsides with the Labs, mainly ear infection
issues, hips and skin conditions.  It seems more dogs are washed out for health
issues than temperament.

To make this GSD related, we have one GSD bitch that was sponsored and selected
by the sponsor.  She is a total spook and will not make it through the program.
 The breeder is in Idaho and I have no clue who she is.  But, if this is what
we get for GSD's, it won't go further into getting GSD's back into the program.
 I have tried to work with this girl but she is better off in a pet home.

I would love to get GSD's back as Guide Dogs.  But, we need GOOD moderate dogs
with awesome temperament and health to make this happen.  I like the
German/American crosses but I know there are many moderate dogs out there from
both lines that could do the job.

The requirements are temperament first, health next, no coats, ears up, not
extreme angulation.  Breeders, you all have pups that can fit this profile.  If
you do, please let me know if you would be willing to donate that pup.  Send me
pedigrees and health certs.  Let's get our breed back put there doing a worthy
job.

Laura