[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT-More Hope for Cancer-stricken dogs

  • From: GSDdogmom@xxxxxxx
  • To: psharp212@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 04:02:17 EST

As a pharmacist, I can not reiterate how important this information  is.  I
had a dog with disseminated aspergillosis.  A particularly bad  fungal
infection.  We tried all the typical human drugs to treat fungal  infections,
but none
of them had any effect on the fungus.  I knew of a  human drug that was about
to be released specifically to treat  Aspergillus.  I approached my vet about
the drug and we were able to obtain  the drug on a compassionate use basis
from Pfizer, even though it was still an  investigational drug for humans.  My
dog lived happily for another 22  months....much longer than most humans with
disease as severe as he had.

If your dog has a life threatening illness, explore all options before you
give up.  After going through what I went through with my dog I got very
interested in veterinary medicine only to find out that veterinary medicine is
so
far behind human medicine that it's sad.  If you have the opportunity to  get
involved in a program like this....TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!

Lori Stewart, Pharm.D.
San Diego

In a message dated 11/24/2006 5:02:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
psharp212@xxxxxxx writes:
November  24, 2006
In Trials for New Cancer Drugs, Family Pets Are Benefiting,  Too
By ANDREW POLLACK
Dogs have long been used for medical research,  usually to the dismay of
animal-rights activists.

But now pet  owners are enrolling their dogs in medical trials meant to
benefit humans  and animals alike. And some animal advocates are applauding
the  development.