[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT, but AR Topic<>'Factory farms' are not to blame for the flu pandemic, long

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:32:50 -0700

More propaganda from HSUS
Stormy

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_12586872

'Factory farms' are not to blame for the flu pandemic

By Bruce L. King

Updated: 06/14/2009 09:01:31 AM MDT

It is apparent that Gwynne Dyer's column of May 20 in The Salt Lake
Tribune , "Factory farms breed diseases that could cause pandemic," is
based on broad assumptions and is meant to generate fear and
negativity toward "factory" agriculture.

He insinuates that this novel A-H1N1 virus developed in a factory farm
setting. The specific farm implicated was Granjas Carroll de Mexico
farm in Vera Cruz, Mexico. But on May 14, the Mexican Ministry of
Agriculture, Ranching, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food confirmed
that the A-H1N1 virus was not detected in pigs at that farm and that
the pigs tested negative for other viruses as well.

The "scientist" that Dyer quoted is the director of public health at
the Humane Society of the United States. The HSUS has a longstanding
vendetta against the use of animals for food and fiber and is far from
impartial on this topic.

I take issue with this type of propaganda and the spread of false
information on many fronts. For one thing, the pandemic of 1918 and
1919 mentioned by Dyer involved a very contagious and deadly form of
virus that developed independent of Dyer's definition of "modern
factory farming."

I think it odd that the author would argue so passionately about
factory farming and then mention, as an example, a disease outbreak
that happened before large-scale operations existed in the United
States. These factory farms have only been in existence for
approximately 50 years.

Viruses and other infectious organisms evolve and adapt independent of
"factory farms." Dyer made no mention of the more recent flu pandemics
of 1957 (Asian) and 1968 (Hong Kong). These pandemics started in areas
where very antiquated agricultural practices were followed.

Once the 2002 and 2003 California outbreak of the highly contagious
exotic Newcastle disease was resolved and information analyzed, it was
apparent the disease originated in backyard poultry populations and
not in the nearby commercial egg and poultry-producing farms. Another
example closer to Dyer's London home is foot-and-mouth disease. When
the United Kingdom's outbreak of FMD was resolved early in this
century, it was evident that "factory farms" were not the cause of
this "epidemic."

I personally visited and performed veterinary services at several
small family farms in the UK and saw the destruction brought about by
this disease.

I agree with Dyer's comments that when animals (including humans) are
in closer proximity to each other the risk for disease transmission is
increased. This is the reason, in part, why human influenza cases go
up during the winter months as we congregate indoors due to inclement
weather.

For this reason you will notice that production systems that
congregate animals use strict, proven biosecurity principles as best
management practices to reduce the introduction of disease.

For example, modern swine facilities require on-the-spot showers be
taken by employees who enter and leave the facility.

Following this logic on disease transmission and adaptation, I wonder
why Dyer does not write a piece on the risk of disease transmission in
the parts of the world where humans and animals live under one roof.
These practices increase the risk of disease transmission from one
species to another much more than the so-called "factory farm."

In Utah, agriculture generates approximately $4 billion for our
state's economy and contributes to a culture that values hard work and
honesty. I have found that those who produce food and fiber for our
benefit are very conscientious of animal welfare and the environment.
They take very seriously this idea of stewardship of the animals and
the land.

Utah ranchers and farmers follow strict regulations from many
different state and local regulatory agencies.

My hat goes off to our nation's farmers and ranchers, especially those
who reside in Utah. They are really the salt of the Earth and I
bristle when a journalist unjustly criticizes our large-scale animal-
production facilities.

Bruce L. King is state veterinarian for the Utah Department of
Agriculture and Food.