[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT - The Coolest MAP website.....

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:14:40 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sure everyone using maps online, but as I was researching hotels for a
local dog show this summer I  came upon the coolest website
http://maps.live.com/ that shows you a "birds eye view" of the area you are
searching for.   It gives you the satellite image of the area you zoomed in
on....you can almost make out people in their cars, it zooms in that close!  I
doubt it is realtime, but it is unbelievably detailed.

  Unfortunately the MAP doesn't give you access to every nook and cranny in the
US (I couldn't see my house), mostly just urban areas, but for what it does
give you...the images are fantastic.   You see what the location (in this case,
hotel) looks like, local businesses, the lay of the land, how much grass there
is to potty dogs....etc.

  I decided to search for the Radission in Lenexa KC, the host hotel of the
GSDC of Greater KC and found it.  Nice site. :o)

  Use the map like you would any other but you need to zoom in on an area and
then click on the Birds Eye View tab at the top of the map to get this kind of
imagery. If the tab isn't active it means you can't access the satellite image
for that location.

  I'm going to download the software for the 3D view; I'll let you know the
results.

  Have fun.
  Cindy

Cindy