[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT, Officer shot

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:34:19 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2007 11:20:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
grnram415@xxxxxxx writes:

Dear Laura,

Your email hits close to home,  my husband PO Joseph Piagentini and  his
partner PO Waverly Jones were ambushed in Harlem and killed in 1971.   They
have
just arrested Francisco Torres in connection with the shooting of Sgt.  Young,
in San Francisco,  Torres was let free on conspiracy charges in my  husband's
case, and has been free for 36 years until now there was not enough  evidence
to convict them,.  My husband's killers Anthony Bottom and Herman  Bell were
also served arrest warrants in jail this week as they are also  implicated in
the shooting of Sgt. Young.

If it were not for the preservation of evidence in Sgt. Young's  shooting,
Torres was arrested on DNA evidence taken from a cigarette butt,  he would
still be free.  The police officers, and detectives that worked  that case
should
be commended for excellence.  I have been trying to get a  phone number for
Chief Heather Fong, San Francisco Police, as she seems to be  giving
information
to the press anyway you can help me with this.

Again, thanks for posting the email,

Diane Piagentini

_New Arrests in a Decades-Old Slaying  of Police Officers_
(http://www.nysun.com/article/47292)
BY ELIZABETH SOLOMONT - Special to  the Sun

Two men serving sentences for murdering two New York City police  officers in
1971 were rearrested yesterday in connection with the killing of a  San
Francisco officer that same year, in what officials described as a series of
attacks on police by the... Black Liberation Army.

January 24,  2007
(http://www.nysun.com/article/47292)

Along with five others, Herman Bell and Anthony Bottom were  implicated in
the murder of Sergeant John Young of the San Francisco Police  Department,
officials said. Young was killed on August 29, 1971, when officials  said
members
of the radical group shot him through the bulletproof glass window  of a police
station in Ingleside, Calif.

Officials also arrested five  individuals they described as former members of
the Black Liberation Army in  connection with the murder, including Francisco
Torres, 58, of Queens. Also  arrested in connected with the murder were Ray
Michael Boudreaux, 64, of  Altadena, Calif., Richard Brown, 65, of San
Francisco, Henry Watson Jones, 71,  of Altadena, and Harold Taylor, 58, of
Panama
City, Fla. Police arrested Richard  O'Neal, 57, of San Francisco, on charges of
conspiracy, but did not link him to  Young's death.

Officials said Young's death was the result of one of a  series of attacks on
police between 1968 and 1973, including the 1971 murder of two New York  City
police officers, Waverly Jones and Joseph Piagentini. Jones and Piagentini
were shot from  behind in Harlem on May 21, 1971. Bell and Bottom, the latter
of
whom is known  as Jalil Muntaqim, as well as another accomplice, Albert
Washington, were later  convicted of murdering them. Although nearly 36 years
have
passed since the  attacks, officials in 1999 reopened investigations into
several murders of San  Francisco police officers in the 1960s and 1970s after
"advances in forensic  science led to the discovery of new evidence in one of
the
unsolved cases,"  officials at the San Francisco Police Department said
yesterday in a news  release.

Although officials declined to elaborate on the forensic  evidence in this
case, Mr. Torres in July was forced to provide a court-ordered  DNA sample to
the authorities, the Daily News reported. He and his brother,  Gabriel Torres,
were suspected of planning the attack on Jones and Piagentini,  but a judge
ruled that there was insufficient evidence.

However,  officials have now implicated Bell and Mr. Torres in Young's
murder. They said  the two allegedly entered the Ingleside police station while
several accomplices  acted as lookouts and getaway drivers. Bell allegedly
fired a
shotgun through  bulletproof glass, killing Young. Torres tried to set off
dynamite as they fled,  although the device failed.

Police also said Bottom and Washington  were supposed to have joined them,
but were arrested after a traffic stop that  night when they fired on â?? but
did
not injure â?? a San Francisco police sergeant.  When police searched their
car,
they discovered the .45-caliber gun used to kill  the two New York City
officers.

As he left police headquarters in  Lower Manhattan yesterday, Mr. Torres,
handcuffed and restrained by chains  around his ankles, looked directly into
news
cameras that awaited his arrival.  Asked if he killed Young, he said, "It's a
frameup."

In a  statement, Commissioner Raymond Kelly praised the arrests and
reiterated his opposition to parole for Bell and Bottom. "They shot two New
York  City
police officers in the back as part of a series of assassinations directed
against police officers in those murderous days," he said. "It may have been
35 years ago, but I certainly haven't forgotten. Neither has anyone who was a
member of the police department back then."

Reached by telephone at  her home on Long Island, Piagentini's widow praised
the arrests. "It's good to  know that the justice system has been, for 36
years, tracking this  case," Diane Piagentini said. "These are cold-blooded
killers. They  knew what they were doing back in '71 and their purpose in '71
was to
kill  police officers in this country."

A spokesman for the  Patrolmen's Benevolent Association declined to comment.

Meanwhile, those  involved in a movement to free Bell and Bottom reiterated
their position  yesterday that the men are political prisoners who should be
released from  prison.

"I know Herman Bell and Anthony Bottom and their case. They  have said they
are innocent," City Council Member Charles Barron  said.

Many members of the Black Panther Party were framed during the  1960s, Mr.
Barron said, adding: "I think that was a time when there was a war  going on
when black people were killed with impunity by police  officers."

A lawyer representing Bell, Stuart Hanlon, called into  question new evidence
supposedly brought by police. "The evidence has been with  the police for 35
years," he said, adding that he believes police are targeting  the wrong
people for the murder. "They are trying to raise politics to arrest  people,"
he
said.

From: ChillyTimy@xxxxxxx

Subject: RESPONSE FROM WIFE OF SLAIN NYPD MOS REGARDS TO RECENT BLA  ARREST

FROM MY FRIEND JACK COUGHLIN ,
AS HE  RECEIVED FROM HIS CLOSE FRIEND AND MY PERSONAL ACQUAINTANCE FROM YRS
AGO ,   .......MRS DIANE PIAGENTINI

As you know the news story about  Francisco Torres, has broken, and hopefully
he will be going to California and  stand trial for the Sgt. Young murder,
since he was not convicted for conspiracy  in my husband's killing, let's hope
that the charges stick this time and he  spends the rest of his life in jail.

As far as Bell and Bottom  already serving time in prison for Joe's murder,
lets also hope that they are  also convicted out in California for Sgt Youngs
killing, for me that would be an  assurance that they will never see the light
of day, and never see  freedom.  If they are convicted, the Parole hearings
would finally  stop.

Sincerely,

Diane  Piagentini

I don't  know how many of you get Los Angeles news, but this may be a hot
topic.   Early Monday morning, one of my officers was shot in the line of duty.

He, and 4 other officers responded to a fight at a problem apartment
building.  Well known for drug dealing and other crimes.  The  officers
detained and
handcuffed 5 suspects.  As Officer Taylor attempted  to escort 1 suspect out
of the building, the suspect spun around and fired at  the officer with a gun
that had been missed in the initial search.   Officer Taylor was hit twice but
grabbed the suspect, spun him the other  direction and jammed the gun into the
wall.  Taylor then went for his  gun, only to realize his arm/hand didn't
work.  The suspect dropped to  the ground and fired some more.  At that time,
the
other officers opened  fire and shot/killed the suspect.  Officer Taylor had
one through and  though gun shot wound to the armpit.  One hit his chest and
his vest  prevented anything other than a bruised lung.  The other 2
shots were  deflected by his badge and gun.  Officer Taylor came to the
station  today, 4 days after the shooting and 2 days after being released from
the
hospital.  Amazing.

A hot topic.  The suspect was handcuffed  and killed by the police.
Nevermind that he had a hidden weapon and  tried to kill a police officer.
There are
procedural issues involved  that I cannot discuss and don't detract the fact
the suspect tried to kill the  officer.  But, you may see stories about how
trigger happy the LAPD  is.  Well, when you have to wait for someone to shoot
first, that doesn't  seem trigger happy.  Anyway, the officer was tired but ok.

The  emotional issues for him, his family and the officer who killed the
suspect  will be a lifelong issue.  The bad guy had numerous warrants for his
arrest in the East Coast and was an Illegal Alien who had been deported twice
before.

I only post this to let people realize how  important it is to be protected
from the bad guys and the price we pay for  doing it.  We know our dogs will
protect us, but who protects us when we  aren't at home or with our dogs?  It's
been a long week.  Thank you  for letting me share.

Laura Thomas

Home of 1985  GV.Ch.Ossipee Ceasar v Clover Acre CD OFA ROM,ROMC &
Cavalier King  Charles Spaniels
_www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com_ (http://www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com/)
www.debmarscavalierkingcharlesspaniels.com