[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT: I feel GRRRRrreaaaat!

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:53:59 -0400

Last Monday, August 29, I went in for back surgery to find & remove the piece
of disk that had
separated from the rest of disk in between L5 & S1.  The piece had 'glommed'
onto the nerve & was
causing unbelievable pain.  (I didn't know it was 'glommed' prior to surgery,
just that a piece had
broken off & was wandering around the spinal area getting into trouble.)

I feel GRRRRRrrreaaaaaaat! The neurosurgeon had said that most people wake up
after surgery & have no
pain, and I figured I'd feel 'better'... but not in my wildest imagination did
I think I'd feel this
GOOD!

My only bad day, was the morning after surgery.  I had been hooked up to a
morphine pump that
delivered meds when I pushed a button.  It was set so that I could receive meds
every 6 minutes.
While awake after surgery, I pretty much watched the clock & zapped myself
every 10 minutes.  Around
11:00 p.m. on surgery day, I fell asleep.  When I woke at 3:00, after a blood
pressure/temperature/pulse check, I was in horrible pain.  While I was
snoozing, no one had been
pushing the morphine button! ACK!  The pain was awful! I pushed & pushed that
button to get back 'on
track' and it wasn't working.  By around 9:30 a.m.  I was feeling better, and
by 11:30 I was back to
the comfort level I enjoyed prior to falling asleep.  The neurosurgeon came to
visit around 8 a.m.,
and I was such a wreck he kept me another day rather than send me home (as
anticipated).

Once at home, it was only a couple of days until I slept the whole night,
without even waking at
medication time! On Friday, I had full pain-free movement back! I could twist
at the waist, bend at
the side & walk like a NORMAL person instead of a missing link! WOW!!

If you're on the fence & suffering from sciatic pain due to ruptured disks
pressing on nerves: Go for
the surgery! :-D [Your mileage may vary!]  It feels great to feel great!!

Thanks to everyone who thought good thoughts for surgery day & for a good
outcome, they worked!

:-)
Diane