[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT Barn Owl box - live feed/PETA comments

  • From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
  • To: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>, GSD list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:30:37 +0000

We have a big, oldfashioned red barn on our property and we have been

blessed with a barn owl for many years now.  The first was Charlotte Rose...

now it is her daughter, Charlotte Rose II.

Once an owl claims a structure, it is hers until she dies.  Ours set up her
nursery

behind an old table in the hay loft.  We didn't even know there were babies
until

one morning, we went out to the barn and when we  opened the door, there was

this LOUD hissing sound....sounded like an leaky old radiator.

They are ugly little buggers at first....look like little aliens....

Once they were old enough, she started teaching them to fly in the barn.....

then in the evenings they would perch on the loft door at dusk and she

taught how to fly long distances and to glide.   Once they had their wings,

she taught them to hunt...it is an amazing thing to watch.  There is a heavily
wooded

area to the east of us...the rest is open pasture.  Charlotte would go over
into the

trees and then called her babies.

They are very quiet when they fly...you almost sense them rather than hear them.

And they are all wings.....and beautiful markings.

And the best part.....between the cats and Charlotte, we have no mice.

 -Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
 -Home of Bedkar German Shepherds
 -bedkar@xxxxx
 -Visit our Website:  www.bedkargsd.com