[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OPEN AND HONEST!!

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: santanagsd1954@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:47:50 -0500 (EST)

I hope you got a lot of private responses to your post as not much was posted
to the list.  Sad that this topic should garner such a meager response.  Having
dealt with an extreme EPI dog I wish I knew then what I know now.  I didn't
know she had EPI until she whelped her pups and no matter how much I fed her,
she lost weight.  I spayed all the pups and refused to continue this line.
This was to be my foundation bitch.  I was saddened but there was no blame.
There were no prior incidents of EPI and it turned out to be a mismatched
breeding where no prior incidents were found.  And, I researched and talked to
many owners of similar breedings.  I wish we had a total marker for EPI but it
is not there yet.  We know much more about EPI and DM and many health problems
and even faults in our breed, yet some continue to breed, knowing these things
exist.

I don't think I will breed again.  I have only bred to outside dogs 3 times and
each breeding has been more bad than good.  It may be faults (weak ears) or
health/temperament issues that were never disclosed and showed up in my
litters.

I will always have GSD's but I don't think I will ever be a breeder again.

Laura Thomas