[ SHOWGSD-L ] OOOPS! Response /change in GSD's since 60's.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:56:25 -0800

OOOOPS!    Sorry for the silly typo's in my post.
I'm not sure if my fingers are faster than my brain.......( shut up Dave ) <G>
or
my brain is faster than my fingers......  <G>......mever mind......But I'm a
perfect example of
something 'out of sync'.....not working like a "precision  well oiled machine".
<G>
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

-----
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Response /change in GSD's since 60's.

It is not just rear angulation that has changed.
We are breeding dogs with better croups today than they had in those
days......and we are breeding
dogs with more of a "wedge" shaped middle piece so they have a better topline
IMO.
Yes they  have more rear anglation now, and broader more powerful thighs....but
that was a deliberate
process in my opinion.     We don't see so much length in the body now, but
more length in croup.
More rear and shorter middle piece and longer better croups were needed to get
the better under drive
and smoother transmission to go with the wonderful shoulders they had at that
time.
Combine all three and the GSD has in my opinion become more of what the
Standard describes.
I saw some of those dogs......and while they had wonderful shoulders and
shoulder opening....their croups
were short and flat and their tails came out of the croup like
'plungers'......<G>....and their backs....... not so
good.   I personally feel the Breed has improved.
Are we questioning about the rear angulation in GSD's today??     No doubt for
a short while we did have
GSD's that were TOO extreme.....but that is no longer the 'norm'  IMO.    If
they still looked like they did in
the 50's WE  would be breeding to get more o what we have now in the Breed.