[ SHOWGSD-L ] ONE MO'TIME! AKC's Taking Command

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:02:22 -0700

If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view.

http://links.mkt2242.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MzA3MDk5MAS2&r=MTY1Nzg5NjMxMDES1&j=OTM4Mjg2NDES1&mt=1&rt=0

To make sure you continue receiving AKC emails, please add
enews@xxxxxxx to your email address book.

July 2010

 From our Nation's Capitol

AKC Government Relations and AKC’s federal advocacy team in
Washington, D.C., continue to monitor Congress for issues of interest
to dog owners. Visit our 2010 Legislative Tracking Page
<http://www.trendtrack.com/texis/cq/viewrpt?event=49bfaef9bd
 > and click on “US Fed” on the map to get the latest updates on all
federal bills currently being monitored by the AKC. Check out the
latest edition of AKC’s congressional newsletter In Session
<http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/in_session.cfm
 >for interviews with congressional dog owners, policy analyses, and
other articles that help us demonstrate to Congress our commitment to
the promotion of responsible dog ownership.

Here are a few of the bills we’re tracking in Congress.

<http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/taking_command/2010/july/nation.cfm>

News from the State Capitols

The U.S. Congress, 12 state legislatures, and the District of Columbia
are currently in regular session; California, Delaware, and
Pennsylvania are in special session. Throughout 2010, AKC Government
Relations (AKC GR) has tracked over 1,100 bills at all levels of
government. For the latest information on the state and federal bills
being tracked by the Government Relations (GR) Department, visit our
2010 Legislation Tracking page. This page, updated daily, provides the
latest bill text, status, and Legislative Alerts posted by the AKC.

For more information on any of the measures mentioned, contact us at
(919) 816-3720 or doglaw@xxxxxxxx

Here are some highlights.

Local Battles

The AKC Government Relations Department continues to work with
responsible dog owners to help with canine legislation issues in their
local communities. If you hear of an issue in your town or county,
contact us at (919) 816-3720 or doglaw@xxxxxxxx We will be happy to
provide you with the resources, tools, and support you need to help
fight for responsible dog ownership in your community.

Here are some examples of the local issues currently being addressed
by AKC GR.

http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/taking_command/2010/july/local.cfm

AKC Announces Community Achievement Award Recipients

The Belle-City Kennel Club of Belleville, IL, and the Lawrenceville
Kennel Club, Inc. of Lawrenceville, GA, are recipients of AKC
Community Achievement Awards for the second quarter of 2010.

The AKC Community Achievement Awards support and recognize outstanding
public education and legislation efforts of AKC-affiliated clubs, AKC-
recognized federations and individual members of AKC dog clubs. The
AKC selects award recipients who promote purebred dogs and responsible
dog ownership within their communities or who have successfully
introduced, monitored and responded to legislative issues affecting
dog ownership. Read more.

New from the GR Toolbox:

Establishing a Dog Park in Your Community

As more and more people enjoy outdoor activities with their dogs, many
communities are choosing to establish a local dog park. If you are
interested in starting one in your community, we can help! The AKC
Government Relations Department has turned our former Establishing a
Dog Park in Your Community booklet into a printable, 4-page
documentfull of helpful tips and suggestions on how to establish a dog
park, talking points to use when promoting the idea to local
lawmakers, and suggestions on dog park design and general rules and
regulations.

This is one of many useful resources that can be found in the
Government Relations Toolbox. The toolbox provides materials to help
you educate yourself and others about canine legislation and
effectively promote positive dog laws in your community. Be sure to
check it regularly for updates.

Welcome to the July issue ofTaking Command.

This issue looks at the important role that we as responsible dog
owners and breeders can play in our community.

With many state legislatures winding down or already adjourned for the
year, scores of legislators are returning to their districts and
looking for ways to connect with constituents before the fall elections.

Now is a great time to invite your lawmakers to participate in
community dog-related activities. Consider also inviting them to a
kennel club meeting to meet their constituents and share views on
responsible dog ownership. Take 15 minutes to drop by your
legislator's local office and introduce yourself, or call their office
and ask for a brief appointment.

Whenever you have a chance to meet with your representatives, tell
them you are a responsible dog owner/breeder and tell them about the
many other local kennel club members who are involved in the community.

For inspiration on ways you and your club can get more involved – and
a reminder of things you may already do that should be shared with
policymakers – look to the example of two outstanding community
achievement award recipients who are highlighted in this issue.

If you are already heavily involved in community activities, consider
applying for a Community Achievement Award of your own. Winners
receive a certificate of appreciation and a check for $1,000 to
support your club's ongoing community activities. The AKC will cover
your award in various newsletters and publications and provide press
releases to local media about your club's award and activities.

We encourage you to think of new ways you can promote responsible dog
ownership and positive dog policy in your community. Consider dropping
off some timely AKC public education materialssuch as our Canine
Summer Safety Tips, Canine Travel Tips, or AKC Government Relations'
Be Your Dog's Best Friend and a Good Neighborflyers to your lawmakers'
offices for them to distribute to the public. Likewise, consider
taking copies of these handouts to local community centers, libraries,
and animal shelters.

By helping your local leaders provide community service information
with the AKC or your kennel club's logo, you are reinforcing the
message that your club/group plays an important role in the community
and should be consulted when issues of canine policy arise.

Finally, another great way to increase membership, socialize local
dogs and improve community relations is to establish a dog park. We
have created a newly revised version of Establishing a Dog Park in
Your Community that you can download and share with fellow dog lovers
and community leaders. This document and many other resources in our
Government Relations Toolbox are designed to help you communicate with
your lawmakers and neighbors about canine legislation and the
importance of supporting responsible dog ownership.

Thank you for all you do.

All the best,

Sheila Goffe

Director of Government Relations

Contact Us

Phone: (919) 816-3720

Email: doglaw@xxxxxxx

Government Relations

Legislative Alerts

2010 Legislation Tracking

To be removed from our mailing list: Unsubscribe Here

If you have changed your email address: Change Address Here

To update your subscription preferences: Change Profile Here

We respect your privacy. Please read AKC's Privacy Statement.

American Kennel Club | 8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100 | Raleigh,
NC 27617

Customer Care Center (919) 233-9767 | info@xxxxxxx

© 2010 American Kennel