[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA rating on elbows.

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:20:29 -0500

It is very interesting to read the information on elbows (see link "Elbow
Displasia") and hunt around for a definition of what Elbow Displasia is.
Here are some statements taken directly from the OFA website (www.offa.org)
that I find pertinent to this thread of discussion.

My question, after reading their information, is, if a dog never limps as a
result of an elbow "diagnosed" as Grade I, then who decided that dogs
couldn't normally have these "minimal bone
changes"....................................

"For elbow evaluations, there are no grades for a radiographically normal
elbow. The only grades involved are for abnormal elbows with radiographic
changes associated with secondary degenerative joint disease.

Grade I Elbow Dysplasia
Minimal bone change along anconeal process of ulna (less than 3mm).

Grade II Elbow Dysplasia
Additional bone proliferation along anconeal process (3-5 mm) and
subchondral bone changes (trochlear notch sclerosis).

Grade III Elbow Dysplasia
Well developed degenerative joint disease with bone proliferation along
anconeal process being greater than than 5 mm."

"The term "degenerative joint disease" is often misunderstood and
misinterpreted. "Degenerative" is defined as some distinct change from a
normal state to a diseased state. It does not imply a continuing process in
which the disease will progress and worsen continuously over time, and it is
incorrect to assume that a dog with Grade I ED will eventually develop Grade
II or III ED."

"The radiographic evidence of ED, the presence of secondary DJD, and the
clinical presentation do not correlate directly. Grondalen (6) reported on a
population of 207 Rottweilers of which 141 were not lame. Yet 68% of the
non-lame dogs had DJD of the elbow. Another study by Read (7) reported on
serial radiographic and physical examination of 55 Rottweilers at 6 and 12
months of age. At 6 months of age the majority of lame dogs did not have
radiographic evidence of ED; however, by 12 months of age the radiographic
changes were apparent. But the majority of dogs remained sound."

(Question) "Why is it that most veterinarians cannot predict the outcome,
with a certain measure of success, of elbow readings? These are experienced
veterinarians."

(Answer) "This is a common source of misunderstanding and confusion. It
might be useful to consider the analogy of human general practitioners as
compared to human radiologists; and veterinary general practitioners as
compared to veterinary radiologists. The additional training required to
become Board certified in a specialty is expected to result in a greater
level of skill and expertise as compared to the general practitioner. On a
difficult case, most people would prefer to have their own radiographs
evaluated by a Board certified radiologist rather than their general
practitioner because they know their general practitioner cannot be an
expert in everything. The same is true in veterinary medicine."