[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA rating on elbows.

  • From: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx
  • To: legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:00:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2007 8:52:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I have  no faith in the DJD diagnosis.  I had a male dog who was a real baby.

He supposedly had DJD but never limped on it.  He lived to be  11.  Died of
kidney failure.

Have a bitch now who has DJD,  supposedly.  She's 6 now, and no
signs/symptoms.  She stopped  jumping and I thought we might be having a
problem, but it turns out she  had a ruptured anal gland.  :(

Both of the dogs mentioned had  really great shoulders, with really nice
front reach.  The bitch  probably more so than the dog.  At 6 years old now,
she will still  make you catch your breath when she takes out in that big,
extended flying  trot.

Makes me wonder how many good animals were sold as pets or destroyed  because
of OFA and DJD?
Now when we talk Osteochondritis dessicans (OCD), ununited anconeal process
(UAP), and fragmented coronoid process (FCP).to me that's true elbow
dysplasia.

Patty Szymczak