[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA is only a tool...

  • From: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:02:11 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2005 7:52:09 AM Central Standard Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Also, OFA is not the be =
all and end all.  We all know of animals that OFA pronounced dysplastic =
that, when re-exrayed and submitted to a different OFA panel, passed.  =
And, we all know often times board certified radiologists and Canada's OVC =
disagree with OFA's evaluations of hip and elbow status.  So, while I use =
OFA as a tool, I do not let OFA dictate my breeding decisions.
I really hope everyone will read your email....OFA has alot of
holes...alot!!!!
This just happened to us with OFA...I sent in July beautiful hip and elbows
to the OFA...
it came back Dysplastic left hip subluxed....both elbows djd grade one....I
was beyond livid.
I called OFA talked to Keller he feels the dogs elbows are good...and that he
is mild dyplastic in one hip due to POSITIONING...WHY IN THE HELL DIDNT THEY
JUST SEND THE XRAYS BACK INSTEAD OF GIVING A MILD DYSPLASTIC.  After I calmed
down, my poor vet...he could not believe it...he asked whos xrays they were
looking at.  He rexrayed him front and rear....sent the original elbows to the
OVC...who I trust...they are the oldest veterinary college in the northern
hemiphere.Sure think they can look at a xray...
Latest outcome....the dysplastic dog went from being dysplastic in July to
OFA GOOD in October....He has a OVC certificate no. that hes free of elbow
dysplasia...Ofa still thinks he had djd grade one..dont know if I will do more
xrays with OFA....I have always loved the OVC...either your good or your
not......I had DJD in my right hip...If my dog had it I would know it cause he
would be
in pain and limping....Before you throw the baby out with the wash GET A
SECOND OPINION.
Patty Szymczak