[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA dental certification

  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 06:41:25 -0500 (EST)

The OFA certification only states that specific dog/bitch does  not have
missing teeth; it does not prove that he/she will not throw missing  teeth...I
am not referring to Harley or Strider specifically...they are both a
credit to the breed...just making a general statement.  Like so many of  those
"faults" that crop up from time to time, it is not one gene that
automatically gets passed down; you can breed a dog/bitch line for several
generations
without seeing a missing tooth....then a missing tooth "appears" and  you
are totally mystified as to where it came from.  You can of course go  back to
a great, great, great, something or another and possibly find out  that
he/she had a missing tooth, but even if you knew that going in, it would  not
necessarily mean that you would get missing teeth in whatever you bred to
the line.  That is the beauty of polygenic issues, it bites you (no pun
intended) when you least expect it. There are a number of awesome well known
specimens of our breed who have had missing teeth...if I remember correctly we
even had a GV a number of years back who had multi-missing teeth. There was
 a very interesting article about teeth written by Diane Klumb in the
Showsight Magazine a while back; definitely food for thought.

Pauline Moon  - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)

In a message dated 3/1/2012 11:36:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Msg: #8  in digest
From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:35:16 -0500  (EST)
Subject: Re: Msg: #5 in digest Subject: Re: OFA Brag

Actually  I think it is a good idea.  #   1 Stops the  rumors...  Although
it
will take a while if everyone did this we might have  some  kind of an idea
of where the missing teeth are coming from....  in stead of   Rumors.