[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA and DJD grade 1 elbows

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:48:04 -0500

Tonight I got e-mail from my co-breeder concerning a dog that we co-bred.  This
dog was OFA prelimed "good" on hips and DJD grade 1 on elbows.  He now has an
OFA number for hips and elbows - fair hips, normal elbows.

Last year I sent in prelim elbow films on a bitch whose elbows were slow to
close.  She was rated DJD grade 1 in both elbows along with UAP.  Her elbows
finally did close at close to a year and I re-submitted, just out of curiosity,
and OFA rated her normal in one elbow and DJD grade 1 in one elbow.

I sent in elbow films on a two year old bitch who had prelimed normal at a year
of age and they came back DJD grade 1 in both elbows.  This bitch had had a
heck of a case of lymes disease in between the elbow submissions, so I do
wonder if that affected her elbow ratings.

I don't think you can rely on OFA as far as DJD ratings go - and I continue to
believe DJD grade 1 is really a normal elbow.

JMO...

Laurie