[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA/ Penn Hip

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:07:59 -0700

PennHip is science.
Mary Lou

I disagree.  It''s my understanding that Penn Hip doesn't recognize that degree
of joint laxity can
 vary based upon age, condition of animal, etc.     Laurie Pruett

I agree Laurie.    We had a co owner use Penn Hip on a 4 month old female and
they declared
her dysplastic.    I asked her to wait it out for OFA.
When she was old enough.......OFA gave her a "good" ......  and Penn Hip gave
her a much higher
rating for excellent hips.   <G>    I don't think that was a bit more
scientific with what OFA does.
We are dealing with living entities........and sometimes they just grow
different and are in a
different state of condition.

I also do NOT like the way Penn Hip knocks them so completely  'out'......and
then applies
pressure to their hip joints.    We are ALL trying our very best to breed
completely sound animals,
but there is a limit to 'how far out on that branch we need to crawl'.......
<G>

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com