[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA, Integrity and the Breeders Code

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 07:59:10 EDT

I think many are missing the point.

OFA is a tool. As a tool fanatic (Craftsman should be my last name), I  offer
that there are tools, good tools, better tools and the best tools.   To me,
OFA is a better tool.  It is not 100% (we can only wish), but it is  better
than nothing.

My only problem with the CODE  forcing OFA for breeding is precisely  that,
that OFA is not 100% accurate.

HOWEVER........we must be ethical and intelligent when it comes to breeding
animals that have "numbers".  What about the previous 4 generations?   If the
potential stud has "numbers", but the pedigree is obviously lacking the  same,
is he any better than a dog with a strong OFA background that is fair or
borderline?

We all know the answer to that.

So, if the wording regarding OFA could be adjusted to factor in those
situations, I think more will be willing to sign up for it.

The legalities of sales have to be considered by state. In some state
selling a dog is just like selling any good, and lemon laws and other state
specific laws apply.

It is true that some sign and break the rules. Shame of those who know that
to be a fact and keep hiding and supporting those people.  How can we trust
anyone if we are not willing to police ourselves when we are witness to rule
breaking?

Jamie is right on something, thou.  Those who never signed the  breeders code
before have scripted all the excuses in the world not to sign a  new one.
The eternal "no one is going to tell me what to do", whether is  good or not is
irrelevant. They are not going to sign.  They will continue  making up
excuses.

Ileana