[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA BREEDING QUESTION

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:30:34 EST

I have seen a lot of opinions about this issue and will likely  see many
more.  But what I am really hoping is that when breeders plan a  mating, they
will
contemplate the complete GSD and not just  the OFA hips of potential
partners.   My hope is that they  will look at all aspects of health,
structure,
temperament and type.

Like it happens with many of us that feel passionate about one issue, some
people focus so much on one aspect of the dog, they do seem to forget about
the rest.  I believe the aim should be BALANCE.  We need to balance  the need
for OFA hips, good temperament, nice structure and beautiful  type.  Do not let
any one item over rule the rest.

I heard David Rinke say at this year's judges seminar.  "When judging  the
GSD, we need to ask ourselves these three questions: Does it act like a GSD?
(temperament); Does it look like a German Shepherd (type); and finally,  does
it
move like a German Shepherd (structure)."  When looking at mating  partners,
if we fail any of these questions - it is back to the drawing  board.

OFA hips are wonderful...  just make sure you don't think they are
everything.

Dania