[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nursing homes, etc.

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:32:32 -0700

A therapy dog is worth their weight in gold. I had a GSD, Lily who did this
for me. My time in nursing homes with her was extremely rewarding. I have so
many stories in what Lily did for those people. The hardest time for me
doing this was making that promise when I would be coming back. Those people
would always try & make me promise when I would be back. They never wanted
me to leave. [sigh]

I have an older friend, Dana at this time who saved an older shepherd type
dog, Harry from rescue. Dana certified the Harry in therapy. She visits
nursing homes & hospitals 3 times a week. Harry is now going to the library
& children read to the dog. This dog is priceless! And just think, if Dana
had not come to rescue Harry he would've been destroyed. Dana saw his
potential.

Kathy Sater-Partch
www.JoKaySedona.com

I remember a time when I had a 14 month old bitch in Petsmart and she pulled
me to a child who was strapped in a wheel chair.  She sat very close to the
chair so that the child could pat her.  I was almost in tears while watching
the interaction and the child's delight.  I was so proud of my girl, she was
a natural and had the instinct to be a great therapy dog.  I wish I had the
time to have a therapy dog and take it to nursing homes or hospitals I think
it would be very rewarding to bring such happiness.

Maybe when I retire : )

Joyce